oh holy coyote!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by iddybit acres, Feb 23, 2011.

1. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Well long story short .... im a city girl that's only been in the country 3 year's. Love all critter's feed all critter's door's open! Well i've been loosing alot of my chicken's lately i was blaming the neighbor's rotten dog! well i have to work in 6 hour's (now 2 am) so i went to bed about 11. My Lab begin's to start pawing at me while im sleeping at about 1:30. I kept telling her to go lay down go to bed! Now i'm in the 1/2 sleep mode trying to get back to my sweet dream's i was having and hear this bark! Sounded like a puppy. So i look out my window (bed's in front of it) and low and behold there's a coyote pup standing in my front yard 3-4 feet from my window. So now i'm getting freaked out, it's just me and the boy's home with the one indoor dog, Hubby's only long night at work is Tuesday night's of course. So i slowly walk to the living room and i'm watching this coyote skope out my house!!! I walk back to my room and grab my cell phone called my hubby and as i'm telling him this ..... sitting in the pitch dark so quite you can hear a pin drop i hear a crash out back so i run out to the kitchen window and look and the coyote is trying to get in my rabbit pen! So i look just off to the left where my goat's are and their all running up by the gate back and forth. I know they can't get in there it's 6 foot high reinforced fence. So i ask my hubby what the heck do i do as im screaming out my kitchen window at this critter to get, shoo and some other unchoice french word's my hubbby tells me to go get the 410!! <~~~~~ IS NOT GUN FRIENDLY!!! Needless to say i just learned how to use a gun and the lil coyote took off with his tail between his leg's!! Hopefully i scared the tar outta him and he'll be gone for awhile!! NO HARM WAS DONE TO ANY ANIMAL I doubt i could hit the broad side of a barn with buckshot!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm not against "planting" any critter that may be after my goats but what you can do is to get motion sensor lights for around your stock pens...if anything it will startle the coyote but you'll be able to see what you're shooting at!

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep.....we have them come up around our barns......we lock everything up tight at night, but hubby plans on installing security lights out around the barns, right now we just have them on the house...I would love to leave my goats out at night during nice weather....but just can't chance it.

4. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

My boss is an old sheep rancher and he said that the coyotes he dealt with always dug under except for one. I toed all my fencing 12 inches towards the outside to discourage digging. I walk the fence every day looking for signs but my area is not that big.

5. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    We have big lights and i was screaming loud out the kitchen window, lil feller wasnt scared at all! That's the only reason i shot into the air! I have trouble eating venison, i am all about watchin critter's, but he didnt have plan's on leaving!

6. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    The lights are a great idea for around the chicken pens for possums and coons, but the coyote's are getting braver each year. We have them all around our farm (hence the name of our farm) 20 acres of woods dirrectly behind our house, 100's of acres of crop land to the side and back behind the woods, plus more acreage of woods across the road and a creek that runs right through our property we here their songs most nights winter or summer. We see them cross the yard, but they have never tried to pray on our animals. One year we had a couple that were crossed with dogs that almost came up to the door, they were chased off with guns. The boys went after them in the fields, but they were gone before they could catch up. They make big coyote live traps, but if your coyote's are as big as ours I'm not sure that would work very well. We always haller at em when they cross by too, but yea they just look at you and go about their biz. If it were ever a real problem such as in your case and it kept coming back (if it gets a meal it will be back), a little target practice would be in session and one less coyote would be out their for sure.

7. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    As much as I don't like to shot something I can't eat, a coyote in my Yard is a dead coyote, not only will they keep coming back if they have made a meal or found a meal, but they carry disease's or at least the one's around here do.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Maybe get a few traps and "get rid" of as many as you can. I would be very concerned having them around your house like that and not being spooked from your yelling. If they get a meal they will keep coming back and Bobbi Jo is right, lots of diseases that could be contaminating your property.

We have a lot of coyotes out here and if there are any on our property, they are killed. We lost chickens, a rabbit, cats, and have had them attack our dogs before. I had them kill a rabbit that was in it's cage by grabbing it's feet underneath the cage through the wire. :( I also had a weaned wether disapear last year and suspect coyotes drug him off. Luckily we have tough fencing and good guard llamas so haven't had any problems with attacks...yet...besides the missing wether.

9. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    They can't get into my goat fence, it's the welded wire small holed 6 foot high stuff! The wildlife has alway's wandered around here and never bothered anything til now. We had a injured wolf that would lay at our mailbox across the road with the dog laying on the porch!! This is a young one it's not full grown and not scared of anything! Hubby's taking me out this weekend to our other property to do some more shooting practice! I'd hate to kill a critter but if i have to i have to! We had a yearling bear last year that would walk right thru and never bother anything he came thru every other tuesday night! After this incident hubby and i have decided to move all the critter's as soon as the snow's gone and redo all the pen's and fencing!

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good for you, target practice. And I agree with the others, he will be back. Hate to say it but he's the only one you saw, there are more.

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, where there's one, there are more. Glad you'll be doing some target practice. Wouldn't be a bad idea either to go through a hunters safety course.

12. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Oh i know their here, we hear them just about every night! This is the first coyote though, usually their in the neighbor's field attacking their cattle about a mile down the road. I went with my boy's this fall when they did their hunter's safety, i just had no desire to want to shoot one til this morning!

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I hate to break it to you, but cyotes can climb an 8 foot fence.

14. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I have a LGD pup reserved to pick up after the 1st of March, she won't be much good for Coyote's for another year or two but when she's big enough I will feel much better about the goats, our barn gets hot in the summer and I feel bad having to put them in at night, but can't risk it. Right now it's too cold to leave them out, actually if I open the door they run away from it. LOL but two weeks ago my house dogs started going nuts about ten o'clock at night, let them out and they split up one went east the other west, one came back then went out and could hear the other one about half way across the neighbors field and the coyotes, making quit a reckous as she chased 'em, she stayed out on guard all night.

15. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Well he hasnt been back since so my finger's are crossed! usually our lab is outside all the time but she just got fixed a week ago so were keeping her in the house. Were definately doing some pen rearranging as soon as this snow is gone. A friend of our's is a trapper so he set some trap's out back.

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Good deal. I hate hearing that someone's animals got hurt or killed by a wild animal. I had some get my geese a few years ago.