Oh my bucks smell so lovely......

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sybil, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    The boys have started putting on their fall colonge! Oh what are the neighbors to think as this is my first year to have bucks on the place. I bought my mom's place and it has been years since I have had goats here! All new neighbors since growing up. Any new ideas out there to keep the boy smell down? Pray for no wind? Only trick I know is to keep young bucks. Haven't seen any does in heat yet.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No idea what would make them smell less. I don't think its possible! My older buck sure is smelling lovely right now. :sick: Oh and my girls have started going into heat. It's crazy breeding season again! :roll:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. Can't really think of any tips, unless you don't mind giving them a bath. :) That's not too fun! :wink: We have young bucks now but one is a yearling, so is starting put on more "cologne". Nothing has ever compared to the pygmy buck we had for a couple years, Monty. . . . boy did he reek!! ALL YEAR LONG!!! :roll: So, you probably clipped him - that will help. Just tell your neighbors that it's the "smell of love". :D Or just pretend like you don't even notice it. "Hmmm? I don't smell anything!"

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    capriola-nd , thats funny! 'i dont smell anything' . you could bathe them weekly/shave them. i've never tried it though, its cold here so you cant really smell it, it must be bad where it gets humid. :sick:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh! I know how you feel! I've got 9 bucks and they all reak! They were fine this summer, but now that the does are coming into season they all just seem to be reaking worse than ever! I was actually able to pet them in June, but now I can't even walk to close to them without getting their stink on me! Ewwwww! And now they're all competing for who can stand next to the doe and wimper at her so they've been peeing on themselves more than ever!

Wish someone has some tips on how to get them smelling not so aweful! But I think it's impossible! Even if you shave and bathe! That smell seems to be there even when you give them the best cleaning sometimes!

6. Candy

Candy New Member

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I love that response "candy" good one~! :slapfloor:

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    there's nothing you can do but grin and bear it
    i agree about the pygmy's - they STINK all the time
    my buck is in rut right now tho i don't think my does are in heat yet
    but i really don't smell him until i am right up close to the pasture so maybe by the time the smell drifts to your neighbors it will be diluted enough they won't detect it

the end of that phrase is ...
    ... so early in the morning!
    lol
    by noon they will be smelling good again!
    and they pee on their faces and then rub on the does so you would be washing the whole herd 2+ times a day

we will pray that your neighbors are kind and understanding
    (ps - i have nasty neighbors - long story - and they've never complained about the smell)

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My bucks just started smelling, luckily we don't have any neighbors close by but it sure does smell nice around here :love: lol I've heard that having bucks around trees makes it stink more but I really cant say it that is true or not.

10. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i think it's the breed sarah
    but i could be wrong
    when i had grade goats i had no trees anywhere near my pasture and my pyg buck stunk to high Heaven
    now there are trees all over the place and my mini nub buck doesn't smell any near as bad as my pyg did
    ???????? :shrug: ????????

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so happy that I sold all my bucks and that my only buck is a buckling at 4 weeks old!! I feel for you all! :greengrin:

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My Boer buck is smelling beautiful already.LOL! I feel bad for him because before he came here he ran with like 25-30 does now he's seperate and will only get to breed maybe one doe.I have two bred though 1 from him and one from another buck. I guess he will just have to suffer.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That was a cute pic Candy! I can't imagine doing that with a smelly buck!! :sick: Stinky! :D

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha good one candy! thankfully i only have one older buck, the others are all still "teeny boppers" haha but my budders smells sooo nice!! and its even better that he shares with his mommy(me..bleh) haha after going on 6 years though it doesn't bug me much.. (the boer bucks smell horrible). but i accept the "eau de buddy" he loves to share ..such a gentleman!

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lets just say that the smaller these boys are the bigger the stink! My pygmy buck has tha absolute most potent musk I have ever been around...and it is year round! When I got Chief my nigi, he didn't have the bucky aroma til last October, and even then I think Hank was rubbing off on him! Now Teddy is Chiefs kid so he's got a bit of pygmy from his dam...he's not super rough yet at 6 months old but he's definately getting close, especially when he has to give me kisses, It gets worse as the nights get cooler and so far the newighbor hasn't complained but my co workers have wondered what that odd smell is when I get to work after feeding in the am...that smell does not wash off very easily :ROFL:

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I got a wiff of my bucks as well the other day. Sera went into heat about a week ago and sinse she was a dry yearling i went ahead and put her in with Apex. He didnt stink then but he did the other day! And little cyclone who has been in with the other kids has started blubbering and whatnot, so he moved down to the buck pen. I think Apex is happy to have a buddy. Another month or some and the kids will be as big as my yearlings, they will be going into the doe pen. yay! but not yay for the buck smell....
    beth

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh Liz you are cracking me up! :ROFL:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :D Well, it's true....everyone I work with thinks my kids are sooo cute. They don't realize how rotten a "little boy" can be :ROFL: