Oh My - greatest news ever!!!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just have to share this as this is just amazing!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOO proud of my step daughter!

In Washington State there is a thing called the Gates Scholarship. It is sponsered by Bill Gates of Microsoft. The Gates Foundation chooses one high school, one junior high, and one elementary school in each Washington county. Then they sponser that school with the latest technology, they sponser teachers to get their masters degree and put tons of money into the school. Well for the high schools, they have the Gates Scholarhip. It is an academic/leadership/community service scholarship. Anyway, as a junior in highschool, you apply for this scholarship and then you have to go through round after round as you progress up the ladder closer to winning the scholarship - well - my step daughter WON!!!!

She is getting her college education up to a BACHELORS degree completely paid for through this scholarship ANYWHERE she wants to go to school. Now I don't know if it pays her room and board or not - but I will read the papers as soon as I get home. My husband just got the papers today!

I will let you know!!!

I am just so excited. We were going to be able to put her through college with an AA here where I work, but not anymore unless she paid for it - so this is AWESOME!!!

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    :cool: that is great news. Sounds like she has a wonderful future ahead of her.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That is great!!!!! Tell her congratulations for us!

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That is totally wonderful- I love hearing that a person who wants a good education is so successful- that's just the way it should be- congratulations

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is WONDERFUL. :stars: Congratulations to you and Her. :party: It sure makes a mom proud when you hear how well your child is doing.

My daughter just received a and I tell you I am on cloud 9, and she keeps saying "Mom stop, it is no big deal, no one wants to know". Sorry as a Mom you want to shout it from the roof top.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am still in amazement!!!!

I talked to the Liason for this scholarship at her school and she can go to any school in Washington State and they will give her a yearly stipen to go to school depending on what school it is. The estimate he gave me was 7,000 per year for two schools that are common in this area to attend. And she has up to 5 years to complete the bachelor's degree. That is $35,000 towards her education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :leap:

Thank you all!!! :party: :stars: :dance:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh that is great news!!! :cool: :leap: :stars: :dance:

8. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh that is so amazing Allison! What awesome news!! Congrats to your stepdaughter and your husband and you and everyone! That is so wonderful! :leap: :party: :stars:

9. Rachel K

Rachel K New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Dyersville, Iowa
    Congratulations to both you and her! What a amazing thing to have happen. :stars: