Oh No!!!! Did I blow it?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by shanzone2001, Feb 18, 2010.

1. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I bought 2 ND does 5 months ago today. They were housed with a buck and possibly pregnant.
    Well, I met some people who wanted them, and I was sure they were not pregnant because they had no udder and their teats were tiny, so I sold them. Today they came to pick them up and BOTH does had teats that were 1-2 inches long. Did I possibly sell goats that were about to give me some new babies????
    Yikes! The good news is that they love goats and want to start a herd of their own, so they would welcome any kids, but now I am having regrets!!!!
    The does have kidded once before, but the enlarged teats must mean something, right? Could they BOTH be in heat...are enlarged teats a sign of heat???
    :GAAH: Help!!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on when you brought them home, if it was closer to the end of October then they would be due in the next week or 2. Also, most does will start filling their udder 4-5 weeks before they kid, especially those that have kidded before.

3. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Liz, why would their teats be enlarged?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just their teats were enlarged or their udder? They would have an udder on them by now and would look pregnant. It takes 5 months for the kids to come. I have no idea though if their teats were enlarged???

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When they are really close to kidding ...their udders will be tight and huge looking.... the teats also at this point may be bigger.... but ..if there is no udder development... it is unusual.... :ponder:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Why did the original owner sell these does? Did they not produce enough milk for kids or possibly not bag up? If they had normal udders the first time around then.... are these does shedding? If so.... their teats may just be more noticeable since there is less hair in that area...... :)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point Jess. As spring is hopefully approaching ( :p ) the goats are starting to shed.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hehehe.... I only thought of that because one of my doelings outside looked like that today... and she had better NOT be bred! She's shedding though so I'm guessing that is why I can see them. :scratch:

Come on Spring!!!!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    young doelings' teats will grow as they age -- its a maturing thing even if they arent bred.