The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I came home today to find my BIG buck in with my young does. I don't even understand how it happened! He was in the big lot where the does are kept and some of the does where in his little lot. The thing that puzzles me is that all gates were closed!!! Now I'm concerned that some of my young does (too small for breeding) got bred today! I guess I will just have to mark this day on my calendar and watch them closely.

·
Registered
29,909 Posts
I agree with lute...if they are too small..weigh the risks...how large they are and how old they will be at kidding..I had yearlings kid this year for the first time....had to pull every one..thankfully everyones fine..but it way too big a risk..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh noes! Hope it wasn't Buddy! He's such a beasty boy. :-/
Yes, unfortunately it was Buddy and he is a big boy.

I've heard about lute but I don't know much about it. When do you give it and what is it?

·
Super Moderator
58,145 Posts
Lutalyse is a hormone drug. You give it at least 14 days after the breeding happened. There has to be a corpus luteum in order for lutalyse to work. You give 2cc IM. All hormone drugs have to go IM.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yes, unfortunately it was Buddy and he is a big boy.

I've heard about lute but I don't know much about it. When do you give it and what is it?
Sorry about Buddy. :(

His kids weren't HUGE, but I did have to pull Jean Paul. Are yer girls Peggy Sue sized or smaller? If the same size probably be fine with assistance, if smaller definitely Lute.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I don't think I will Lute. I'll just mark the day on my calendar and watch them very closely. 5 months from yesterday will be the week of Thanksgiving. The ones that I'm concerned about are actually old enough I just wanted to give them a little more growing time. 2 of them are 11 months old and another is 1.5 years old. I will planning on breeding them this fall anyway.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If the does are 7 months or older they will probably be ok. I dont like lute, but how old are they? We had the same problem the little bugger was busy as we got 13 babies from 6 does (3 does that were barely 6 monthes old) from a one night escape. But at least they are beautiful babies!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the does are 7 months or older they will probably be ok. I dont like lute, but how old are they? We had the same problem the little bugger was busy as we got 13 babies from 6 does (3 does that were barely 6 monthes old) from a one night escape. But at least they are beautiful babies!!
I have 1 that is a year and a half, 2 that are 11 months, and several others that are about 7 months old. And several doe babies around 2 or 3 months old that I'm not concerned about because I don't think they are capable yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts