The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annnnd, return of the lice. Sigh. I'm treating them with Equisect, and it seems to be working well for me again. but I have a question about preventing the lice and supporting their body.

I've read that when the goats are up on their minerals, they are less likely to get parasites. I have a question -- my goats get free-choice loose minerals, and I had been supplementing them with Replamin. I, however, made the "mistake" of reading the label more closely, and saw they used animal fat treated with UV rays as a vitamin D supplement. NO THANK YOUUUUU~

So I'm looking for an alternative. I prefer not to copper bolus, and I'd rather have something that doesn't burn, like multimin. Any suggestions?

Anything diet wise I can give them that will help prevent the lice? They are already on a good herbal wormer with garlic, so that should help. Gladly it's not a bad infestation, just one here ... one there ... and only on a few of the goaties it seems.

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool beans, completely forgot about DE. What kind to you use, just food grade? The kind I was able to find was red DE.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we use whatever we can find, usually food grade, but any kind will work externally. food grade can be used as a dietary supplement as well as for lice, fleas etc. just ran out and checked ours, its natures wisdom

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
we buy food grade DE from our feed mill..they use it in some of their mixes ..Food grade is white like white flour..the grey stuff is mixed and did nothing for us..we put our dust treatments in an old sock...then pat the goat with it. it works great..no lumps of powder and it dust pretty evenly...always avoid eye and nose area : )

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
when you buy the DE, make sure it's pure DE, and doesn't have stuff mixed in it. the only kind of DE I can get down here has ant bait....no CLUE what that could be, and I don't want my goats ATTRACTING the bugs to them just so they can be killed.....

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Yellow dusting sulfur added to their minerals or feed is supposed to prevent lice, but IME it won't cure them if they're already there. As long as it doesn't exceed 2% of their diet, it's safe. (There's a risk of polio if you give too much.) If you don't want to do the sulfur, try mixing garlic powder with their minerals. Not sure if that will work on lice, but the garlic tablets really help with fleas on my dog. :) Garlic takes a few weeks to really penetrate the tissues, so don't expect immediate results.

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well fresh garlic is part of the normal diet, so I suppose that works as a sort of prevention. :laugh: Thanks for all the tips on DE, everyone. I got the grey stuff last time, and I'm not sure if it worked. I'll try the pure, white kind. I'll use that for their bedding and dust their coats. :) Thank you all very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts