oh the pain, oh the agony! . . .help!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I saw the dentist again today, and the painkiller is wearing off. . . and my tooth is killing me!!!!!!! Is there anything I can do? :mecry:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What did they do? Maybe put a ice pack on your cheek?

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Had a cavity done between teeth . . . my mouth is still swollen and numb, but gosh, my tooth is starting to kill me. I feel like screaming.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My dad always tells me to slam my finger in the door, then my tooth won't hurt :lol: :roll:

If you are near to a health food store and can get the homeopathic remedy Arnica that would help. I've dealt with a lot of tooth pain and the biggest thing is to just keep your mind off of it, distract yourself and you won't notice the pain. :)

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I'd call the dentist and tell them how much pain your are in so they can give you something asap!! A slice of ginger also works in a pinch.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    We live an hour out of town and we just got home . . . my mom says I may be in pain for 24 to 48 hours before it stops. . . :hair: . . . Well, if I pass on during the night, I'll have my mom let you all know . . . I took some motren (sp?) . . . And I have to go back next thursday. . . .groaning . . . :tears:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I recommend that you call your dentist...you shouldn't be getting severe pain .....to me the cavity may of went into the root and that is where the pain is coming from.......and I hate to say... you may need a root canal done.....Please call your dentist.... :worried: :help: :shocked:

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Lol I get kicked out of the dentist.

Well if you have no pain killers that are working slamming the finger in the door is the best way. It will most certainly distract you from the pain in your tooth.

But honestly. I would call the dentist and ask for pain meds, or call your primary care doctor and ask for pain meds.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OOPS. It doubled posted. No I am not totally crazy.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay, the motren is kicking in . . .I put a hot washcloth on my face and that helped too . . . my teeth react funny when I come in contact with ice. . . thanks everyone, it's just a dull ach now. . . .I do NOT LIKE DENTISTS! :GAAH:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is it sore from the shots to numb the gum? That is really the only pain that you should be feeling.

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    He had to give me like 4-5 shots. . . .but it was my tooth that hurt, the nerves. . . .my gums feel fine. ;) thanks

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I know cone flowers help with tooth aches..

I hate dentists too... they totally creep me out. Last time I went to the dentists he put 11 shots in my mouths, felt like he was jabbing them all the way into my brain. The one time he didn't tell me he was gonna 'shoot' me, and I cringed and he started laughing his head off and was like 'Oh, I guess I should have told you..' On the way home I told my mom how many times he shot me, first she couldn't understand cause I could barely manage to work my mouth, and she started crying because she felt so bad for me (she's had all of her top teeth pulled as a kid and has denchers now). Then a couple days later I went to him again, he was all 'Hop into the chair of the grand!' and he was looking over some papers and he was like 'Oh, your birthday's tommorow?' and I said yes, and he was all 'Oh, I have a present for you!' and he went to another room and came back with a needle and shot me 3-4 times. So yeah my dentist is a lunatic. The other one was nice, but he died in a plane crash, go figure.

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    See I like my dentist---I just hate his needles.
    This morning I got shots like right behind my upper lip, and the numbing and swelling went all the way up and past my nose! And I mumbled, "I's gonna bite ma lipz off. . . ."
    He laughed and told me to take a picture of that. . . . :roll:

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Woohoo! Now we're on to telling needle dentist teeth pulling stories :cool:

A couple years ago I was 2 or 3 years into having my braces and I had one baby tooth left. Because of the pressure from my braces that last baby tooth cracked right down the center so I had to go to the dentist to have it pulled out. When he gave me a shot I didn't even feel it(I didn't know he was sticking a needle in my mouth) My tooth was broken in two pieces and still stuck in my gum so rather than taking a pliers and pull it out he took a pick thingy and just broke it into ten pieces to get it out. What I love about those numbers is the whole side of your face is totally useless for like half a day, I talked really funny :lol:

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ick, I can't even read this thread, lol. Novocain does not work on me... at all. My gums don't even feel numb. Maybe tingly, but thats it.

17. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    As long as the pain's going away, it'll probably be alright...but by all means, if you start having really sharp shooting pains or it hurts to put pressure on it...call your dentist. I had a problem with a filling once...it hurt so bad I couldn't chew anything on the side it was on...for like a year...I kept asking my dentist about it and he said it was normal to have some sensitivity and didn't really seem to think it was a big deal...but this was a lot worse than "some sensitivity"...so I went to a different dentist and found out that my filling had been leaking the whole time and I had developed a cavity underneath the filling. It had to be removed and I ended up having a crown put on the tooth.

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, OK, Hubby's a Dentist, and I guarantee you he doesn't stay up late at night trying to figure out new and unusual ways to hurt you! He said he should have been a Proctologist...nobody hates their Proctologist! LOL

So, how's your tooth? Sometimes, if the decay is really deep, near the nerve, they have to clean it out and then he should put some desensitizing "pulp cap" on before he fills it. After all that "trauma" the nerve is not "happy" and will react with pain. You should call you dentist if it's still hurting, he can give you something stronger for a couple of days. You can also be "sore" for a few hours from the injection site. But, the needles they use are soooo tiny it's really not much trauma. You may think you are getting many shots, when in reality Doc's just moving the needle a little. But, yes they do have to take it out and "hit" the nerve in a different place, but that's a good thing, you want that nerve ASLEEP! :doh:

Like any other Dr., if you are having pain for an extended time, you should certainly get a 2nd opinion.

Most of the time, our tooth problems are of our own making! If you smoke, eat alot of sweets, drink sugery soda, don't brush correctly, don't floss at all...then you are going to have cavities or worse periodontal problems. Smoking is the reason for most perio (gum) problems, so totally preventable. Also, I tell folks, "you only want to floss the teeth you want to keep!" Carry some suger free gum (Extra), if you can't brush after a snack (I brush my teeth 4 times/day, 3 minutes ea.), chew the gum, it gets the sugar off your teeth and stimulates saliva. Hubby recommends using Colgate TOTAL...it has a patented ingredient that is a better bacteriacide. But, only Colgate TOTAL has it. Always use an ADA recommended mouthwash (you have to keep it in your mouth for 1 full minute, no food or drink for 30 minutes), and if you use ACT you are giving yourself a little flouride treatment, which strengthens your enamel!

OK, I'm off my soap box now! :hug: Hope you are better soon.

19. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    And Runaround, we don't use Novocaine anymore, we use Carbacaine, etc., ask your Dentist to try something else, call before you go in and tell them what they used wasn't working, they will have time to order a different type anesthetic.

20. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL... :slapfloor:

Di--do you know of any under-lying health problems that might cause cavities? I am asking because growing up, I never had cavities...I don't drink or smoke at all. I rarely drink soda and I don't eat many sweets. I brush at least 2 times per day and floss at least once a day...I use a waterpik about 3 times a week. I think I take pretty good care of my teeth, however, a couple years ago I had, like, and explosion of cavites. I never had a cavity before and suddenly, within a year, I developed over 20 cavities...

It stopped just as suddenly as it started...I have not had any new cavites for a year and a half...

Have you ever heard of anything like this??