Oh to have goats in milk again.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by RunAround, Mar 9, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's so nice to be milking more than one goat again!

Got about 2 1/2 to 3 cups from one side on Xcell. The kids are milking the other side. lol

4 cups from Ghost and thats with her single kid still on her 24/7

1 cup from Charity. Going to dry her up soon.

And Dorcas is such a pain on the milking stand I am letting her kids on her 24/7 until I need to wean them.

Mmm, going to make yogurt soon, and some ice cream. Oh and I am going to try making soap soon. Ghost's milk is going to be great for making butter. :wahoo: Can you tell I'm excited!

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm just drying off my third doe who is due to kid in May. I am having such a hard time making myself not milk her all the way out because I WANT THAT MILK!!!! I'm going to be without for probably over a month... I think I'm going to throw myself a pity party. :tears:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hey, if Angie is anything like Xcell to milk then your going to be swimming in it to soon enough. :wink:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    one month, 3 weeks, 1 day :wahoo:

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I looove fresh goats milk! :love: I wish I had a doe I could milk right now... * taste buds craving goat milk* :greengrin:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am lucky enough to have a retired girl thats still in milk.....and doing pretty well with what she gives. :wink:

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    6 cups from Ghost today!!! :shocked: :shocked:

Sorry, don't mean to rub it in, but WOW! It is so fun to milk those huge teats. No work involved. lol

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Yea Yea Yea. Just rub it in. Tilly has such tiny teats that I have to use 2 fingers. I don't get much since I am leaving the babies on her. I am hoping they will get larger as these are a pain. When I learned to milk, that doe had HUGE hand size teats. I had no trouble grabing aahold and getting something. These are a nightmare.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nice sized teats are a must to get that yummy milk!

I am fortunate enough to have does that have decent teats...now Angel could end up being more difficult, we shall see soon enough!

Crocee, try forming a ring around the top of Tilly's teats with your thumb and forefinger...then press the teat against your palm with your second and third fingers...works very well for me and my girls. Bump up against the udder while "circling" the teat to fill the teat again, practice makes perfect :greengrin:

11. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I would rather have tenny tiny teats than huge ones! Gosh, those kill my hands, it is so hard to get them started. And if their orfice isnt half way decent, then it is just not worth it for me. I dont know why it's usually woman milking. Bigger hands=stronger= faster and easier milking!! lol

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks liz. I will try that but there's not a whole lotta length there. I will get a picture as soon as I can. Icky white stuff falling from the sky right now and its cold and wet. Not to mention that the camera batteries died. I will get some more tomorrow I promise.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: I have "massive" hands for a woman!

No kidding either...4 1/2 " wide palms and 8 1/2" from tip of pinky to tip of my thumb! Took ALOT of practice milking the "little girls" as my hands really "dwarf" their udders!

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    lol I had a doe with small teats that were hard to milk and I got rid of her. Just couldn't milk her.

If large breed goats didn't eat so much I would switch to full size LaManchas in a heart beat.

15. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    I know what you mean... this year I had a doe freshen that has tiny teats and tiny orfices and had thick thick colostrum! I finally gave up (although she's a doll) and let the baby suck her. Even the baby got tuckered to begin with! It takes her forever to get mommy sucked.