Ohs Noes! Neighbors got goats.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Zelda, May 19, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    It's a fine and wonderful thing except they are in a little dog kennel - maybe 8 x 8 - just a shade cloth over one corner. It's supposed to possibly rain over the next few days and these goats are gonna be wet and then probably sick. They look like younger goats - a bit smaller than my 4 month old Swiss girls.

I am NOT good at talking to people about these sorts of things, but they need a talkin' to.

Help!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    this is a hard one......I am very sorry...... they are not better accommodated....

If you do go talk to them .....they can either get mad.... and ignore you .....or they will listen ....because they are first time goat people.......and want to learn......people are so different.....and you never know..... how they will respond.........If you are not able to go over and try to chat with them.......then if you do see there circumstances getting worse... and feel that there health/welfare.... is at risk .......then I would call animal control.........They can handle it and maybe warn them to get them the proper shelter....... :hug:

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I am one who is not good at talking to neighbors when I see something that needs to be changed when it comes to animals. I'd be the one who builds them a house and gives it to them instead of suggesting it :sigh: I don't want people thinking I'm a know-it-all just because I suggest something. I guess I'm just paranoid :shrug:

4. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I thought about calling and offering to put the goats in my shed if it rains the next few days... How much risk is there of bringing illness to my place? Or I could offer them my enclosed horse trailer for shelter if they need it. They have a small horse trailer - it's not all enclosed, but they *could* put the goats in it and throw a tarp on top.

Low temperatures are forecast to be in the 30's and 40's. :sigh:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is hard. Maybe they have them there until they can get a better shelter built.

are you friends with them? If so I would go over there and take to them about their new goats and offer them any help they might need and offer to be their mentor. Maybe they will bite and ask for help, if they need it. They might be totally revealed to know you would be willing to help them, and greatful for any advice you can give them.

Tell them to come visit us here at the Goat Spot.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is risky..... putting there goats on your place...... it is possible they could have illnesses ...that your goats can catch.........myself .....I wouldn't do that.........

great idea with there horse trailer to tarp it..... that should work....as long as ...it is draft free.... if the winds come up .... :hug:

7. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Ok, I'll invite myself over to look at their goats and do my best to keep my foot from flying into my mouth. :greengrin:

I always take them some plants from my garden in Spring, I can just dig a few up and schmoop on over.

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Let us know how it goes. :) Good luck!

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    May it be a successful "schmoop" too!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    please let us know.... how it goes... I'll pray :pray:

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Yup... good luck on your 'schmoop'. After the appropriate (and easily given) "ohhs & ahhs" you could say something like - "did you know that goats hate getting wet and they can even get sick if they do get wet?" Pause.... "hey, you could borrow my horse trailer to keep them in when it rains this week."

Just a thought...

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    You could always go over there and introduce yourself and say, "Hi! I saw that you got some goats too! They look like little sweethearts. What kind are they? If you need any help with them, just let me know. Oh, by the way, it looks like it might rain. Goats really hate being wet, and they can get sick really easily if they get cold and wet. If you need any help putting something together for them before it rains, just let me know. I'd love to help."

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I like that idea :thumb:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Dreamchaser....that is ....a good idea..... :thumbup:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Zelda....how are things....have you gone over there yet? :hug:

16. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Just to follow up, they did end up putting a tarp over 3-4' of the pen so there is a small rain shelter. Hopefully it is keeping them dry enough...

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that sounds better...... :wink: