ok, i know nothing... will you look at her pedigree?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sdshoars, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    i bought a couple of alpine does this past fall, and the first one to freshen... well i don't know anything about goats, but even i can tell her udder is extremely dissapointing. she is a registered grade, so i didn't expect all that much. :( oh well. i love her, so she will stay.

but i have another coming up to kid in a few weeks, and she looks to be a much higher quality animal. here's her pedigree

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... A001462631

and here's the buck she was bred to...

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... A001432956

are either of them any good? should i expect anything from this kidding? ...i will repost these pictures, this is her on day 124
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and thanks for your input, you guys have been SO HELPFUL to me!!!

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :shrug: its got a bit of history so its not a new line, as to whether they r great or not i cant tell.. lemme check a bit

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok so after lookin at my Doe's pedi I am now way more confused. But I can't find any info on your guys except none are registered pure bred. One was a regular conforming(buck) and the other a am stand(doe) now this does not mean they are poor quality. the site is very confusing. sry I cant help more. :scratch:

4. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    well thanks for trying! like i said... i know nothing.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    they r off today so I will call on monday and make em explain things.

6. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    that would make my day! i am trying to make good decisions, but i really have no idea what i am doing, and that makes it sort of hard, haha. thanks for your help!!!

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    did you get regi papers with the goats?

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't recognize the closer related lines in her pedigree, but farther back there's a lot of Willow Run, Tempo and some from Hoach's, all pretty good lines. The buck she's bred to, on his dam's side I don't recognize anything, but on his sire's side there's some more Willow Run and also some Sand Dance. I don't know much about alpine lines but I know which lines are more well known.

As for her, I think she's a long and level doe with a nice rump.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

For your doe I havnt heard of the majority of the animals in her immidiate pedigree. Havnt ever heard of the herdnames either. The ones i do recognize...Sand dance, is a herd in florida, they have some extremly nice animals. They tend to be very tall. Some of the tallest goats i have ever seen. Large bodied with good usdders. They have shown and milked well.
    Hoac's are in california, they have some beautiful goats, one of my favorite herds. Some of the best shoulders and front ends assemblies i have ever seen. They have a website.
    Willow run is no longer, but they have had numerous national champions in several different breeds.
    The bucks pedigree is the same way, the only other herd i recognize is stump hollow. They have some nice animals.
    He also has some Hill N holler lines behind him. I believe this herd is in oregon still. They have doen well in the show ring. Though the style leans more towards a bigger alpine, they have more substance to them then a lof of herds.
    AS for your does udder. Its hard to say if you can expect much out of, It will be interesting to see her full. the thing i notice right off the bat is her medial is not well defined. But she is long bodied and has a nice topline.
    beth