ok, i need more help! getting baby to nurse!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sdshoars, Apr 8, 2009.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    my husband has not seen the baby nurse at all, and diasy doesn't mind him, he just can't seem to figure it out. dh said he was rooting around her chest area, so he picked him up and moved him to where her udder is and then baby got all mad about it and just laid down. he said he tried showing him the teat, and tried squirting a little bit in his mouth, but dh said he acts like a teenager when you ask for help (hahah) that he just acts like he doesn't want any part of it. i made him try to syringe a little into him and dh said he thinks he got about 2 tablespoons in him, that he fought the whole time...

am i being an overly anxious mama, or what?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    how old is the kid? So long as he is active and not sick(temp?) he will figure it out.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Baby will figure it out, though it is frustrating when they keep searching the wrong end!

Good that he has had some colostrum, if DH is willing, wait til he gets up to search again....and don't pick him up, gently push him in the right direction, he will find the teat...don't worry, he looks to be a healthy and strong kid.

4. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    dh found them about 1:30 my time... so he's about 2 hours old. he says he seems healthy enough, he's just tired. and i would be too i'm sure. poor dh, and i only know what he is telling me. i can't wait to get off (and hour and 15 minutes) so i can assess things myself, haha.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ....open the kids mouth...insert teat.... he/she.. will fight and yell........holding the kid there....with the mouth on the teat...squeeze a little milk...in the mouth with 1 hand ...holding the head in the other ...repeat....squeeze a little in the mouth again.....and so on....don't drowned the kid... just a little squirt each time.... It is easier with 2 people ....have someone else... tickle the tail head area...and holding the kids rear up....at the same time....keep trying ......eventually the kid will learn...do this on and off..... do this ....every couple of hours....or so.....there is no need to sit there for long periods of time just a little here and there :wink: yes they can be rebellious.... but stand your ground ....you will win...good luck :wink:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hows he doing now?

goats are so silly! fighting what they are looking for. hehe

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    My kids seemed to really like their momma's ear for the first few days. lol They will figure it out. Just keep showing them.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I was told (by an old timer) to gently set the kid (have him kinda under his momma's tummy to help him feel secure) with his mouth near the teat; then push the teat to the kid... don't push the kid to the teat but you can gently hold the kid there. I actually tried this and it worked two days ago for one of my two new doelings. Getting frustrated with the kid only makes things much worse so it all needs to be done gently, quietly and without 'pressuring' the kid. It may take quite a bit of time and even several times to help the baby figure it out.

As the others said I've also been told that most kids will figure it all out on their own. But, you do want to make sure he's eating or he'll get weaker. Another old timer said that she will often supplement a weaker kids eating for the first 24 to 48 hours to make sure he's getting enough and has truly figured out how to get his own food.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I've tried the gentle approach on alot of them...but I found those few ...that are so stubborn to the teat so.............I have to do it with a little more ...effort.... it is just showing them that this is where the milk comes from.....you don't need to sit there and constantly force the kid.....just a squirt here and a squirt there... :wink: :greengrin:

11. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    well i saw him nurse this morning, kind of. i stood him up and stuck him back there and rubbed his little butt and he started poking around and he finally got a nipple in his mouth and started sucking. he didn't act too hungry though, so i think he has been nursing without us seeing. he pooped a good yellow mustardy poop this morning too, which means he is nursing, right? her bag is so disappointing, i don't think she could have fed twins, and her nipples are small, so it's hard to help him out. but i think he got the hang of it, and she is being a very good mom otherwise. and he got up an explored of his own accord when i went out this morning, i didn't have to rouse him myself. so i think it will be ok!

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    yep yellow poo means hes gettin something. :leap:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: alright yup......... I agree... yellow poo ..baby is eating ... :wink: ...another way to tell... is feel the flank tummy area...if it is loose he is not getting enough... if it feels full he is getting enough.....you can hold him and also see that way ..you should see a round tummy...... :greengrin:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great news. Also try taking the tips of your fingers and kind of tickle the tail head as he nurses, that stimulates the sucking reflex. That is the same place mom's tend to lick while they are nursing. it is like magic, it works great.

15. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Good to hear the little fella is figuring it out!