The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need that I might not have? The pasture is all set up, they have straw inside the barn for bedding, we have water buckets. I know there's more, but I am drawing a blank here:rolleyes:.

They are doelings. The parents have been registered, but they just sent the papers in for the doelings last week. They said $200 unregistered and $300 with papers. I want the papers, so I told them that I'd pay the $300 IF we could sign something stating that if the papers never make it to me, they will reimburse me the $100. I think that should cover me (?)

The kids are super excited. The last time we got two goats, it ended with the doe dying with-in hours of us getting her. So, we ended up bringing the buckling back and getting our money back. It was a sad time. Hopefully this will be better!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Personally if papers are really important, I would wait on them OR get a bill of sale and copy of the parent's registration so you can register them yourself.

I would also think about CAE/CL/ Johnes....do they test the dam and sire? At least for CAE, and ask if they have had abcesses in the herd (CL). When you get there, ask to inspect the parents if they are on site. Look around their jaw, neck, ribs, hips for abcesses or lumps, look at the front knees to see that they aren't unusually large/stiff and the goat isn't too thin or its hair to coarse. Ask about mastitis...has the dam had it? Any frequent coughing?

Most won't do it, but you can always get it in writing that if youe kids test positive for CAE/CL/ and or Johnes within their first year or die within a month of getting them home, they agree to refund all or part of your purchase price. As for the money I would only PAY the $200 up front and agree to pay the other $100 when you get the papers. Have them agree to obtain the paperwork for you and reserve the right to return the goats if it cannot be produced. You'll never get money back from folks, typically....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts