Ok, im mad! Please help!

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I set up an electric fence for the goats, so we can rotate pastures! It is three strands of the rope. But the goats have other thoughts about it!!! They are really good at slipping under, and the shock must not bother them... I didn't just spend 900$ to just throw this away! What can I do to make them stay in!!

2. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I don't have any advice...BUT just to let you know i went through the same exact thing, (except i didn't spend any $$ on it) but i would put the goats in the pasture as soon as i would leave they came with SUPER FRUSTRATING:bonk: And your so right the shock doesn't seem to bother them at allo_O
    Best of luck to you!!

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    More strands or put up field fence and the hot line.

5. Steven Beckstead

Steven Beckstead New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Lower Lake, Ca
    Hog pannels. I know there a little pricey in bulk but they work. Then you could put the stands through the panels. It would work. Maybe more strands, or new fencing completely

6. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    I'll third the more strands and how big is your charger ? I started out with 5 strands when everyone was learning about the fence.

7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Another strand of the rope. And that box needs be hitting HOT so they do not like it at all. How thick is your rope and can they see it clearly? The reason i ask this last.... we tried using a thin braid, it was orange and black..... bucks went right through it. But they could not see it well either. We got white in the thin braid and they wont go near it.

We have used netting for years and loved it. We just added high tencel fence and are dividing this pasture with the rope instead of the netting. Ours will not get near the rope.

8. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Try adding more strands.

9. Iris88

Iris88 New Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Alabama
    I had the same problem a few years back. It was so bad I almost gave up and gave back the goats!!!

My fence is a 7 strand barbed wire fence for my horses. I knew nothing about goats and was told this would work. So I got a few goats given to me by a neighbor and just put them in. The would go in and out as they pleased. Thank goodness we live so far from the road and neighbors or my goats would have running up and down the road and eating everyone’s gardens!

I decided to put a hot wire around the bottom because they were just going under the barbed wire. I tried a solar powered one but it didn’t work so I got the Parmak 5 super energizer and made my lowest strand electric (not barbed wire) and added one to the top so the horses would not lean on the fence. I never have escaping goats now!!! They will not even go closer than a foot near it.

My main advice is to put the bottom stand low enough that it shocks their nose when the try to go under it and get a strong electric fence energizer like the Parmak. Also have enough strands Do the never get their head through.

10. Iluvlilly!

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    That was a couple years ago;) Thanks for the idea though! But maybe i should try it again:shrug:

11. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

(thumbup) We use hog panels and cattle panels. We've never had any issues with them. Our goats aren't bothered by the electric fence for our horse.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Oops! I thought i replied to @Nigerian dwarf goat

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Do you have a fence tester that tells you the voltage? Goats need a pretty high voltage to keep them in. More than a lot of animals. Should be between 4000-5000 volts I believe.

14. Iluvlilly!

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
  15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have the white braid. They definitely can see it!

Ok we are at 3000 volts lol, but I found a new charger jn the barn from horses that’s like 6000 and I think it plugs into a battery, so I think that would work really well

I will get a new strand up! Thank y’all!!

16. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You just did not jave enough bite in that fence. On the box ours says 8k but put a tester to the fence is is more like 10+

17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I only have good fence "bite" with single wire. The braid , rope, and flat white tape my goats walk through as if it wasnt there. I have a solar Parmak...and it makes the goats jump back. I have 3 strands on plastic posts of single wire
    No one gets close to.it.

18. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    The rope and tape don't provide a good shock for goats.

We run goats in primarily electric high tensile wire, they don't push it and don't go through it. We have one fence line with 5 strands, it is along the hay field and I wanted to be overly sure that they wont push it. The other fence is just three strands and they haven't been out all summer.

19. Rockland Ridge Ranch

Rockland Ridge Ranch New Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Upper Midwest
    How much does your charger output? How many weeds do you have growing along your fence line? Goats need a pretty hefty shock to respect the fence, and if you're getting less than about 6,000 volts then that's probably why they just go through it. I have the Zareba solar charger that outputs 0.5 joule, on 5 strands of the rope designed for horses (only 3 strands electrified), around less than 1/4 acre until we expand the fence around more of the pasture. We have a lot of weeds so wanted to make sure there is plenty of juice. Keep in mind, the charge pulses about once per second, so if they slip through the fence in between pulses they wont feel the shock either. Make it trickier for them to get through with more strands and it will slow them down enough to get zapped. Mine have all now felt the shock. They make a pretty awful noise and go tearing back into the barn so I know it hurts. But now they respect it and don't touch it unless they get so into munching they forget to look for the fence.

20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    It’s been mowed down where the fence is

Our old one was .18 now we have a 1.2 LOL

Okey dokie! So I retested the fence, were only at 1000 volts, so called around, and found a bear proof charger

Baby touched it and jumped back like 6 feet . They’ve been keeping away from it lmao