Ok need help again

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Jun 9, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok same doe, Scarlet. Was doing great, even moved her outside during the day and in at night then she started staying outside at night, she was doing GREAT! Even putting some weight on as the rest of the herd is fat..a little too fat. Well anyways, today got hot, it is about 100 right now, there is a nice breeze but it is still hot. SO she looked funny to me again, she is a bit wobbly, so I am thinking maybe polio, she is dehydrated again and gums white. Last night her gums were bright pink, so obviously something is buggin her. I so far today gave her 3 ccs thiamin, 3 ccs vit B, lactated ringers, down to the 3 mark, 3 ccs Iron, some probios and vit abe gel and some electrolytes..... am I missing anything. Oh an she is very very congested, nothing coming out of her nose but when she coughs it is so wet it is not even funny, so I gave her 2 ccs of nuflor......I dont know if we are going to pull her out of this one, her temp is 105.6..... I am a little worried we may not be able to save her, but your prayers worked last time, lets try it again!! I have a feeling this goat is going to be inside all summer long lol. Please help guys! if anyone would like to call me you are more than welcome to if you think you can help 209-772-7510 my name is Rachel by the way!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds as though you've gotten her dosed with what she would need, Sorry you are dealing with this again, though the wet cough and congestion have me concerned that shew is definately trying to battle an infection. It's been very warm here with high humidity 90+ and I have trouble breathing in the "heavy" air....is it very humid where you are?

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I am located in northern california, it has been going hot to cold hot to cold and really screwing the animals up, they dont kn ow wether to shed their coats or grow a new one in!! The ones that I shaved are skin and bones cause it was nice and warm and then got really cold! SO I am sure this is what it is. Since she has been in the house and dosed with everything I had said she is doing much better and isent wobbly anymore. SHe is eating her alfalfa happily an drinking water. I just got home and havent taken her temp yet but she looks allot better. She really had me worried bad!! TOmarrow I am leaving around 4 pm to go to the phantom of the opera in sacramento and my husband said he would watch her, I showed him how to do everything. Ok well thanks again!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just wanted to tell you I am sorry that you are dealing with this again. I have not the first clue to help you, it sounds like you are doing everything you can.
    I just wanted to say that I was thinking of you.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ugh thats terrible. I wish I knew how to help and I hope and pray that this course of treatment works for her.

ok this maybe far fetched BUT on mystery diagnosis last night there was a small girl who would have spiking fevers and eventually seizures because of a calcium deficency.

The spiking fevers just caught my attention

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Have you checked with a vet on what could eb wrong with her? I mean white gums is not good and a sign of lack of iron which could be caused by worms or something else.

What have you wormed her with recently? I would get a fecal to a vet. YOu need to rule everything out before shoving stuff down her which could do no good or possibly OD her with.

I just took my little Rhythm to the vet (story later) and yes it cost me but now I know what is bugging my herd and I have a dignosis and treatment plan. Worth every penny.

8. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well Scarlet finally lost her battle the other day, she just couldent do it anymore. We ran a fecal on her an it was clear, so we are not too sure why her gus were white as a sheet. Something else was going on we just couldent figure it out. I am glad it is over for that poor girl, as she was very tired and tired of getting poked with needles all the time. Poor baby girl, I d miss her very much but I am glad she is in a better place cause I couldent seem to help her anymore. thank you all for your help, I need help with some other goats but I will post in an other thread.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am so sorry Rachel :hug:

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    You tried so hard with her- I'm so sorry.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :hug: I am so sorry to hear that. She is watching over you all now, and not in any pain and not tired anymore.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry you lost her :hug:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It sure is a mystery as to what it was that was ailing her...she had enough and is now in a better place where she is comfortable...so sorry for your loss :hug:

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry for your loss. :tears: You did everything you could. :hug: :grouphug:

15. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Thank you all. Ok well I will try to make this short, pretty much the doe was given to me because she had had a very bad kidding, the previous owners thought she would never breed again. They think her uterus tore cause there was a mass amount of blood and they almost lost her during that. Well that was over a year ago. My vet said go ahead and breed her, it shouldent be a problem. SO I went ahead and bred her......about 2 months along thats when all the problems started, she dropped weight, she was dumpy, her temp was always flucuating....I couldent figure it out. But what we are thinking what happend was when she had that horrible kidding her uterus did tear. now this IS possible for them to live with as long as they dont bleed out. BUT what happens is if the hole dosent close up and heal, or it heals but there is still a hole, when they get bred, the baby will start to grow into the body cavity, OR the uterus attached itself to certain organs and when she got bred it put too much on the other organs, which would explain her weight, her pale pale eyelids even with fecals run and so on. I should have autopsied her, but really dident have the heart to do it. Please feel free to tell me what you think, my vet and I really think this was probably the culprit, and so there was NOTHING I could do, it was going to happen one way or another and we would have never known! that you all for helping me!!