OK, Now I feel like poo~

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Oct 31, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So I received these goats that were in a terrible situation on the 29th of September, not knowing that one was not disbudded and had huge horns.

Any I am very new to goats and was told to band them becuase within the first hour of her being here, she was stuck in fence 4 times, and the others were beating her up real bad when she was stuck. Not knowing, I took her to a friends to have her banded, thinking this was a norman and ok thing to do. I had seen another that she had banded that looked wonderful.

Well, tonight, when I got home from work, I went out to check on her, and one of her horns has broken off at the base of the head sometime today. She had dried blood all down the side of her face. I took warn Nolvasan water and washed it all off to find that it is broken, and there is no open hole. She knew that I was there to help her, and did not fight me on it.

I cleaned her up, gave her a pen injection and gave her some extra grain and alfalfa, as I know she is not going to want to go around the other goats much. She is still happy and lovey, eating and drinking.

Is there anything else that I can do for her - Oh and she is pregnant and due March 6th.

I feel so bad, and wish that I had the knowledge that I didn't a month ago. Her horns have been banded since the first few days of October and the other does not feel very loose. What in the world should I do?

Please help~

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds normal to me for a horn that was bumped off a little to early.

Nothing to beat yourself up over since there was nothing you could have done to keep it from happening that way.

If you have a way to keep her separate till the other one falls off then that might be an idea for you if you are worried about the other goats hitting her.

as to her being pregnant, she will be fine.

Take a deep breath and breathe it out, everything is going to be A OK

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    kelebek

Sending (((hugs))). Don't beat yourself up. I know people who band horns and it does look horrible when the horn cames off. Not my personal way to deal with horn, but not the worst way I seen horns done either. I would leave the other band on if it already start to go thought the horn. Keep an eye on her make sure she is eating, drinking and acting normal she will be fine. Having livestock is a learning experiences so you learned you don't like to band horns. My goats and sheep like to give me pop quiz every time I think thing are under control. Shelly

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, first of all, you have to do the Penn for 5 days. (Have you called a vet or does anyone here know about giving Penn while she is Pregnant?) Is there a open stub where the horn was? If she was mine, I would give her some Nutra Drench, because I am sure she is a little stressed. I am not sure that I would put her alone until the other horn falls off, that alone will stress her out. If you can put another goat in with her that is smaller, but don't leave her alone.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Also I'd use some Pro-bios is you are going to use Penn

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is no open hole of anything - that was my first fear.

I have not called the vet, as she assured me before that pen is ok for prego's! :)

Thank you for the kind words everyone! Now I wish I would have known about the garden hose thing first :0)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    after all the tramma of this is over you will be happy with your dehorned goat.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you stacey!

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is she doing? You know, I do believe WE hurt more then they do.
    I am glad the Penn g is OK for prego mom's. I was just not sure.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She seemed to be doing good last night and this morning. She is still eating and drinking!!! She seems like it is not bothering her at all.

She was trying to play head butt with the others and you could tell she knew that it was sore so she would tilt her head so that it wouldn't hit the broken horn.

I believe she will have a scur, as there is a piece that did not come off. But very very little. And I will just do something with that only if neeed!

Thanks again all - I felt like the worst goat momma!