OK, someone give me the lowdown on vaccines, shots and stuff

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Apr 8, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    My boers are about 15 months old. The female is pregnant, and I gave her a Cd/t shot last week.

My nubians are about a year old. The pygmys are about 15 months old.

What do they need now? What will I need to give the baby boers? Should they be wormed or only when needed? (everyone seems healthy)

Thanks,

Bill

2. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Re: OK, someone give me the lowdown on vaccines, shots and s

We do CD&T twice a year here. This recently started because we had an aggressive bloat go through goats down here and vaccinating twice a year has seemed to help a lot for preventing.

Kids receive their first CD&T at 3 weeks then again at 6 weeks. Some people do 4 weeks then 8 weeks.

As far as deworming goes, we only deworm if they need it. I haven't had to deworm in a few years.

Hope this helps some

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

When you give CDT, try to give it to pregnant mom's 2-4 weeks before the babies arrives. That way they get some and it helps them out, then babies get the booster at 4 weeks, then another 4 weeks. If mom did NOT get her shot then the babies need them still at 4 weeks, then two more boosters at 4 week intervals.
    As for the deworming, like Sammy said, I have not dewormed either in like 6 years. I do not have a problem so I do not waste my money nor do I give them something they do not need. We are in a area that we really do not have a worm problem. I have NEVER dewormed my goats after they kid like a lot of people do. I would and I tell everyone I know to get a fecal float on them FIRST to see if you even have a problem. It will give you two different answers. 1.0 do they have a worm overload, 2. what type of worms are you needing to treat for? Not all are treated for the same.

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008

What's the dose for CD/T, and does Tractor Supply carry it?

What about BOSE?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Sorry dosage would help wouldn't it. It is really easy. 2CC, for everyone all ages. Tractor might I have no idea we do not have them here, but look for it in the refrigerator. Make sure you keep it cold on the way home. When i know I am getting some, I bring my "goat lunch pale, medication" that is the insulated one with a ice pack. Also I get the Colorado Serum, the Bar Vac leaves nasty knots on them.

I have BoSe but I have never used it. It depends if you are in a selenium def. area.

6. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX

I implemented a CD/T vaccination program for all our kids at the farm. I learned too late to vaccinate the doe a month before kidding (so that the kid can get antibodies from momma in the womb and through her milk) so I was stuck with 27 vulnerable kids!

If you didn't/decide not to vaccinate the doe herself then at the time when you plan to disbud and/or castrate the kids (about 3-5 days old) give them the regular CD/T toxoid vaccine at 2cc per goat no matter what age or size, just like sweetgoats said earlier. This shot will not give them true immunity until you give them a booster in 3-4 weeks after the initial dose so I also gave each kid 0.5cc of the tetanus antitoxin. The antitoxin protects them for about 3-5 days (when they are most vulnerable to infection from the disbudding/castrating procedures). If you booster each goat annually with the CD/T toxoid then they should be safe. :D

That was the only vaccination protocol for goats that I've ever implemented.

I have heard of some herdsmen and women vaccinating for rabies in areas where it's a serious problem. :chin:

I have also recently helped vaccinate the milking does on the farm against staphylococcus mastitis, but who knows how effective it will be. :shrug: I have my doubts on that one :roll:

7. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado

Speaking of rabies, Lori I have a question for you. In reality I could probably call or text you, but I'd like other people's opinions as well. In the paper and on the news I read/heard about El Paso County, CO having an outbreak or something of rabies. So they are suggesting that every animal we own be vaccinated for rabies. I haven't done it because I don't know enough about it to inject my goats. Obviously my dog is vaccinated, but as far as goats....what are your thoughts Lori (and everybody)

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I have talked to several people about this. Lets say that your goat was given the rabies vaccine, and it was bit by a rabid skunk, there is no proof what so ever to say if the vaccine will work on the goat. Yes the vets and media are saying to do it but if they are bit, they are still going to make you put that animals down becasue there is no was to know if it worked. Now Meredith did vaccinate all her goats for it ONLY because if it helps, it was worth it because of the kids. (human ones).
    You know Dr Death was treated for rabies (so he says), becasue he came in contact with a rabid cow, I personalty think the cow was just trying to kill him before Dr. Death killed the cow, lol

So you all know what i am talking about his name is not really Dr. Death, that is just what everyone calls him, he wants to put anything and everything down, that is his answer to everything, he charged me $385.00 to put a goat down.

So I have not and will not give a rabies vaccine to my goats.

9. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado

That was a good day when he was "treated" for it. I think it was God's way of getting back at him lol. I can see why Meredith did it. I just didn't know anything about the vaccine so I wasn't going to go anywhere near it (figuratively).

Matt is also well aware of Dr. Death. I guess on one of their calves, Dr Death tried pulling it, and damn near pulled the thing in half because he wasn't waiting for contractions I'm sure. And of course they ended putting the mama cow down because of all the bleeding and pain she was in.

That is his solution for everything. "I'm hear to make an appointment for a health certificate"
    "Oh we are going to have to put it down" "But I don't even have an animal here!" Haha that's a common joke among us lol

10. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX

LOL @ Dr. Death! Sounds like a real winner of a vet there, lol! :roll: Why do you keep going to him?

No vaccine can be guaranteed 100% that it will work. All vaccines will work most of the time, but there will always be someone or something that still contracts the disease they were vaccinated against. Dogs and cats can get rabies even though they are vaccinated for it too . . . even people!

There's this whole thing called a blood titer (pronounced "tighter" :wink: ) which is very confusing (I don't even fully understand it, but I'll try to explain what I know). Basically, after you are vaccinated for rabies, the titer of your blood tells you how many antibodies your body has against rabies. If your titer gets too low then you can get rabies even though you have been vaccinated already. Everyone's body is different (and every animal's body is different) and some people only need a single rabies vaccination for the rest of their lives because their titer never goes down (their body produces antibodies against rabies on its own forever). Whereas other people need annual boosters against rabies because their body says, "Gee, i've never seen this rabies thing since that one time so I'm not going to waste my time making antibodies anymore." :chin: :doh: It's the same with animals, but most people don't check the rabies titer on their livestock because it costs buco bucks. They just vaccinate annually because it's cheaper and easier to remember. :wink:

They make a rabies vaccine specifically for goats that would be good to give if you are in an area where it's recommended. If your animal is bitten by a skunk or similar animal you know it's protected by the vaccine, but isolate it for several weeks just in case (since you don't know the animal's blood titer for rabies). The animal probably will not get rabies if it's vaccinated . . . if it is unvaccinated and bitten by a rabies high-risk animal then it WILL get rabies . . . there is no doubt. Rabies is a terrible disease and a horrible death. I've seen animals (and watched an OSHA video of people) dying of rabies . . . it's something you will never forget. If I had goats in an area where rabies was a very serious threat I would vaccinate them.

11. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado

Lol we don't go to him at ALL. Goat vets are limited here, so when you are first getting started you go to a livestock vet nearest to you usually. Of course, there are some people that have never had a problem with him.

I remember we went as a 4H meeting to have Lori's goats ultrasound, that was cool to see. But now most goat people go to Airway Vet.

I haven't heard anything else about rabies since then, and I don't even know when I heard about it lol I'm crazy busy so everyday I feel like I'm always running lol

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Jess, like Sammy said, anyone with any smarts do not go to Dr. Death. But there are still some that like him, (why I have no idea :scratch: ).

He was good to us several years ago. Like Sammy said anyone that had a pregnant goat, he did a clinic for my group and did ultrasounds on the goats, that were pregnant. That was realty nice, but I believe he was trying to get new clients.

I will go to him JUST for a vet check to go to shows if I can not get the other vet I use. That way he is just signing off as healthy goats.

As for the Rabies shots around here, last year when we have the trouble they said on the news that the only vaccine they had for rabies was the same that they use for dogs and cats. If you have as many goats as I do you can not afford to take them all to the vet to have them vaccinated. YES you can do it yourself but they will NOT accept it as them being vaccinated.

13. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado

I thought it was a long time ago when I heard that. I'm glad I'm not losing my mind. I don't know why I remembered when I was on here lol at first I thought it was a recent thing and then got to thinking and was like no that was some time ago. Lori I'm glad I have you, for everyone of my questions (even the dumb ones where I draw a blank) you are so helpful! Thank God, you are a true blessing to me. :angelgoat:

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Jess thanks for telling us how titer is pronounced!

Bill this is what we do.
    Kids get their CDT at about a month then 28 days later. Personally I dont vac band or worm anyone going for meat.
    Does get another CDT wormed & BoSe'd 2 weeks before breeding then another round CDT & BoSe a few weeks before kidding. (we are in selenuim def area)
    We do worm the doe on kidding day. Any parasites are laying dormant for awhile then doe's system under normal stress of kidding & parasites PARTAY!!!
    Not to take away from Lori she is in a different area with different breeds & knows what she's doing.

15. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX

Yeaaaah . . . I learned the hard way how it was pronounced. :doh: I thought it was said phonetically . . . . . . . . . . . it was totally awkward. :oops: :help:

Hmm . . . I never thought of it being a problem legally. :chin: I always just thought about protecting the goat from the virus, but now that you mention it, I guess it would not be recognized legally. Unless your vet authorized it and wrote you a note . . . depending on the vet some of them might do that for you. I've had some do that for my does when I wanted to try a certain dewormer or antibiotic on them, but I never asked about a vaccine. I definitely wouldn't try Dr. Death though, lol :p.

This one is licensed for sheep, so if you just want to make sure they are protected physically if not legally, you can probably give the sheep dose of this:
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... pf_id=1693

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Yeah Korn, theres all kinds of words out there in goatdom I probably butcher cause I've never heard anyone say them!
    For a long time I thought probious was pronounced pro BEE ous till I heard it :laugh:

17. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX

At least probeeous doesn't sound like a woman's naughty bits :doh: :doh: :doh: