Ok . . . Stop Making Milk Now, Suzie

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kornhypknotic, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I just had a small (very very very small) doe freshen this year (an accidental breeding). I milked her for a few weeks and now I want to try her up so her body focuses on building her frame and not making me milk. The problem is that she refuses to stop! Milk is now leaking out of her teats all the time and I'm continually teat-dipping her. I've stopped milking her at all, but milk still drips out and her bag is still very full. How can I get her to quit? LOL :p

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    At a minimum you should milk her for the first 2 months then start to dry her off. The kids would nurse for at least that long and her body is just hitting the milking peak at 60 days. you are fighting nature.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    drying off a doe is a process just stopping all together can cause mastits!

You want to milk her twice a day but dont milk her all the way out, just enough to relieve the pressure.

Then once she isnt producing as much go to milking once a day again only milking part of teh way out.

At the point when she isnt making quite as bit go to every other day milking once a day.

Then go a couple days, milk her all the way out and leave her. You may have to milk her out again just in case but by then she will only have a small amount and will dry up quickly

THis process coudl take a week or 3 weeks.

4. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah! I totally did that! :) I milked her twice a day for about 2 days (just relieving the pressure) then I went to milking half way once a day for 2 days and then I just stopped. . . . buuuut she didn't stop. :roll: So now I'm just teat-dipping twice a day to try to make sure she doesn't get sick. Do I need to start milking her again? :worried:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, you need to relieve the pressure. I'd milk her out half way if no all the way and they just start milking out enough to relieve the pressure when she fills up again.

I go very slow so it usually takes me a month to dry up my does.

6. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    :shocked: OMG!!! :GAAH: :GAAH: :GAAH:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you need to keep relieving the pressure at the very least till her body slows down.

Also cut out her grain and only give her hay.

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    she's super skinny though (part of the reason I wanted to dry her) :worried: . . . should i get rid of her grain altogether?

we also graze them only, no hay (unless it's raining and they stay inside)

9. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    If you really have a doe that won't stop, yes, cut the grain altogether (you can start her agian when she's dry), and restrict her water intake. That's what I do, instead of having constant access to water, I let them drink all they want twice a day and that's it. Without lots of water, they can't make lots of milk.

And, for me at least, it's not any worse than winter time, when my water freezes solid and they only get watered twice a day when I do my chores.

10. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Ok . . . in the space of 3 weeks her grain has been cut completely, and I've gone from milking her half-way twice a day, to half-way once a day, to not milking her at all. She's still producing so much milk that it's pouring out of her teats. :help: She's getting very skinny and I'm worried about her not getting enough nutrition to keep herself healthy. :worried: I'm also concerned about cutting her water supply too because it's 101F out here and I don't want to dehydrate her. :doh:

I've tried talking to her . . . she doesn't listen! Kids these days, eh? :GAAH: What are ya gonna do? :shrug:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have to either keep milking her till she decideds it is time to dry off and treat her like you would any other lactating doe OR you have to keep up the drying off process and only milk what you can out of her once or twice a day

12. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Is it ok that she's so thin? She does not have a high worm count so I figured that she's thin because she's using so much energy making milk. I don't want to encourage her to make more milk, but I don't want to get her sick either. :doh:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup some goats just put it all into the milk pail. IF you do keep her in milk I would increase her grain slowly and give her plenty of hay. Give her a grain that is high in protein like 18%

14. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    that little turd-burglar :roll: . . . thanks stacey, I'll give that a shot :)

15. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    You can also feed her back some of her milk to help keep her in trim.

16. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    woah :shocked: you can do that? i've never heard of that before do you just bottle-feed them or serve it in a pail or something? :scratch:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup - offer it in a bucket or something.

18. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    stand clear though... when I let Whiss have her milk she usually sneezes half way through cause she sticks her nose so deep in the bucket... and I get milk froth all OVER me =]

LW

19. lol :slapfloor:

20. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Something terrible happened to Suzie earlier this week. She suddenly developed severe mastitis, became septic, and died in my car as I took her to the vet. :tears: It was so sudden I don't know what to think. She was looking slightly lethargic one afternoon and the next morning she was down, off feed, and feverish . . . 30 minutes later she was dead. Incredibly unexpected :cry: