The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, fair warning really new at a milker- ie never used one :eek:so please bear with me & if anyone has pics on each question please post them I'm kind of a visual person.
So I just bought a babson (large I think 5 gal more than I need but the price was fair) pail w/ pulsator and 1/3 hp pump w/ valve gauge - it's like new-including hoses teat cups etc. cow belly strap (obviously I don't need that) but set up for a cow! With the large metal teat cups I have ND"s so I need help with a few questions.
The guy hooked it up and let me see it run (should've taken notes). Let me try and get these in order.
1 So one the metal teat cups are too big/long, so I've seen the clear smaller goat size ones. Wondering where the most economical place is?- I want to see the milk and when it's done.
2 It's set up for 4 teats ( I was told you can just leave two hanging down or use a hose to go from valve to vale on the two not needed. Is this correct and which method would work best?
3. If I did have it hooked to two goats what happens when one is done and the other isn't?? do you just pull the two off the one done while it's still running??
4. I've also seen some do it to a mason jar instead- so two part question- If you do this method use one jar for each goat (since I'll be on test next year) again (a)what if ones done first? (B)What happens if one jar fills and you need another while the other is still milking? ok 3 pt-(c) do you then take your filled mason jar and strain and pour into another jar?
I think that's it for now I'm sure I'll have more :eek:

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
The clear shells are the best, the metal ones are too heavy and you can't see when the doe is done being milked, you can also get silicone inflations (sized for ND, or just get regular goat size. Mine work fine even on my smaller teated does) You should also get some shut off valves to be put on the milk line. I have mine in the line just past the elbow going to the shell/inflation. I just cut the line right there and put the valve in. This way you can cut off the suction to each line individually. None of mine will milk for the same length of time on each side. If you don't want it to work for two goats, I would just get a length of hose long enough to go from one valve to the other to block it off.

Here is a link to the shut off valves I am talking about. You will need to measure your hose (inside diameter) to know which size you need since these come in three sizes, 9/16, 3/8 and 1/2" ): http://www.partsdeptonline.com/ECONOMY-SHUT-OFF-VALVE-916/productinfo/962605/ If you do a search for "shut off" it will find the other two sizes.

The same place sells the inflations and shells also. I got all of my supplies from them. I have never used the mason jar method, just milk them into the stainless steel can. I have a Surge can and pulsator, so probably a little different than yours. With the shut off valves, I can shut off each line when the doe is done being milked and can take it right off, you might have to stick your finger between the teat and the inflation to release the suction, but it is much better than having the line still sucking and trying to pull it off of the doe.

The silicone hose (for your milk lines) is supposed to be the best, it will last longer than the plastic and cleans a lot easier than the plastic will.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse you more! :)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you. I'll check out that site. I think mine is the same, well unless you mean shaped like a can vs. the round tank w pulsator on top. Boy are they going to freak when I first start, we're (me and the goat) normally nice and quiet while I'm milking. The motor is a little loud and the power switch is too close to the unit to put the unit outside. I think I'll try running just the motor while I milk by hand for a few days so they get use to the sound. thoughts??

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I have the silicone goat liner (regular) and the plastic shell for goat liner (regular). If you have dwarves you might want to get the smaller sized ones, I'm thinking they are probably smaller in diameter and also smaller in length so they fit under the does.

I thought mine were going to freak out too when I first started, but they took it really well. A few would jump when I first turned the machine on and weren't too sure about the inflations, but they got used to it really well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts