OK, This is Strange!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Old Post Farm, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    fancy had her kids on St. patty's day, now two weeks later her milk production has dropped. (literally only one pound difference this morning (which for her is normal) to a two pound difference this evening).
    my only idea is that her daughter, Fiona (who is almost a year old, born 4/7) is nursing on her because I forgot to feed her this morning (my fault completely). Fiona was weaned at 9 weeks old so i have no idea why she would start nursing again :confused:. i am thinking Fiona might be pregnant so maybe she is needing calcium?
    has anyone had this happen?

2. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    her udder is usually like this or fuller
    udder1.jpg
    now it is closer to this
    udder.jpg

3. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Yes, i have a doe who would keep nursing and she is 2!

4. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    really? even after she was weaned? the thing is Fiona was bottle fed and never got to nurse except for colostrum. I'm so confused because there was no evidence of her doing this before o_O

5. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Is she in season? My does milk supply drops when they are. Is there loose minerals?

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Tape her teats between milkings and see what happens.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  7. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    in season? she gets alfalfa cubes a dairy goat textured sweet feed and free choice minerals and hay.
    i did not tape her teats (i don't have any medical tape that i feel wont tear off the skin of her udder) but i didn't feed Fiona again today so if she is super low on milk production i will know. i will also put some food coloring on Fiona's lips so of she is nursing i will see a dot or something of that color on fancy's udder

Aprilszoo and groovyoldlady like this.