ok this is weird but ... gabby did it

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SDK, Nov 5, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    um this is really weird, but just follow me ok?

so two days ago i noticed gabby (my new 7 mo jr doe) was nursing off of twist ( the doe who kidded a month ago) so i was like, oookkk? and i decided that the next day(yesterday) i would separate her because that is just ridiculous for a 7 month old to nurse off a random doe

so i go yesterday, and gia ( a 5 year old bred doe) had blood on her left hind hoof. so i grab her and get her on the stand to clean her up. and when i go to get the necessary medical stuff my mom goes.. its her teat that's bleeding.....

i look at it and sure enough..blood

after cleaning it, it appears that a small chunk of her teat near the orifice was sheared off...

culprit anyone?? :shrug:

so now gabby is living in the breeding pen with two other young does (no bucks)

will she heal ok you think??
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH poor baby. I would for sure what it for infection. i know on another forum, they had something like that happen and it went Gang green. Keep it really clean as I am sure you would,.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she may of got it hooked on something... or do you have dogs ?? one may of nipped her? or it could be her nursing kid ...getting ruff with the bumping... and a tooth caught her just right.... :shrug: :(
    anyways ...........I have found one of my does before ,with almost the same thing..our doe 's wound was higher but it wasn't deap enough to cause problems later....do make sure it isn't to deep...if you think there is going to be problems down the road or is way to deep....please consult your vet...... :shocked: ...
    make sure it is clean and if she wasn't nursing I would of put blue spray on it but she is nursing so I would maybe use or cattle bag balm and mix NEOSPORINĀ® in it. put it on the wound....2 x a day..or more if you feel you need to....her kids will take some off with nursing.... it will help in between to keep germs out .....
    The next day.... ..do it again...repeat as needed until healed......our doe healed up with a slight scar and is ...just fine.....even with her kids nursing off of her....it does take longer for her to heal........ if she is nursing her kids...

wow you might have a special doe.....there..... she may take on an orphan ....or a kid that one of your does may disown...? Everyone would love to have a doe like that..... :)
  4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Yes, keep it very clean. Not to scare you but I had a doe with a small cut on her teat and she did go gangrene on me. So I would keep a very close eye on it. It should heal pretty fast though. That area usually does. :hug:
  5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    toth: there are no dogs around the goats, and the cut is too small to have been nipped, and i would say its her kid, but

the doe is dry without kids.. i think gabby is kind of..special

gabby was caught nursing on twist, the one who kid, but the gash is on my 5 y.o dry doe.

i hope she'll be ok

yea twist should be a good wet nurse huh? haha
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    me to.... :pray:

yeppers ..........you are one lucky lady...in my book...you don't find alot of those special goats...
  7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I didnt see this until now ... bit late but I have a doe who had a similar thing happen. She was kidding, had one already, lying down getting ready for round two. Another doe came along to try to steal the kid, well the doe growled and bit at her, so the kidnapper bit back ... yep you guessed it right on her teat. In this case, the whole teat end was lost and now she has a blind side. Luckily she has 2/2 teats, and on the blind side the second teat milks fine and opens into the main reservoir.