Ok to breed?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by audrey, Feb 22, 2016.

1. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    My 11 month old nigerian doeling was looking small to me, so I borrowed a scale and weighed her today, and shes exactly 40 lbs. The other doeling I retained this year is HUGE (her dam is over sized too, darn it), so Lacy, the small one looks extra small next to her lol. I am wanting to breed her in like 2 months, I am hoping she will have gained a bit more size and weight by then, but as it is, do you think I have anything to worry about? The buck I will be breeding her to comes from small lines.

ETA is 40 lbs small for an 11 month old nigerian doeling?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    I think she should be fine if the buck is small as well. I have breed at 35 pounds, over 12months, no issues.

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I'm assuming she's a Nigerian? I bred my doeling this year. She's small. but is growing well and the buck is small as well. He's a yearling and doesn't look like he's going to get any bigger, so I went for it.

4. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Thanks guys :) Most of my does are over sized, so the normal sized ones always look tiny to me lol.

5. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Heres the future couple

Lacy
    [​IMG]

Dash, I just weighed him too, hes like 8 or 9 months old and weighs 30 lbs. Hes polled and blue eyed and I am SO excited for his babies! Hes super friendly and difficult to take pics of lol.
    [​IMG]

6. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    He is horrific, how could you keep such an ugly goat? I must take him from you to stop the horror at your farm!! :lol:

Seriously, he is amazing! Lucky you, he should finish at 50-55 pounds. Nice size!

7. KristiStone

KristiStone Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Oooh Dash is a GOOD looking boy! And Lacy is a real cutie!

I bred my Willow at about 40lbs. I was told she was big enough, and the bucks were just about the same as her. You should be ok.

8. Jasmar

Jasmar Member

Mar 28, 2015
    NW Oregon
    How do you know when a Nigie just isn't going to get much bigger? I've got a 10-month-old who is maybe 17" and 32 lbs, as of a couple of weeks ago. The 3-mo-old girl is looking almost as big (but with a smaller head and much less barrel, since she's so young).

Audrey, if your guy is on the smallerish end, when my older girl is big enough, would you consider doing a driveway breeding? He is GORGEOUS!

9. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Most goats don't stop growing until around 4 years old. That said, the majority of their growth is before the 2 year old mark.

10. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    :D What can I say, I am just keen on breeding fugly critters :D

I am SO excited to see him shaved down this summer for his LA! Last I saw him, as a baby, without his major hair he had incredible conformation.

Redbarn that would be nice! I bought my other buck as a yearling and he has grown so much since then, darn it LOL. I am really hoping this guy does stay small!

Jasmar Yes for sure! I am going to message you now :)