The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

We have a couple sweet lil ND boys that are 10 weeks old. Is it OK to deworm them this young? I bought MannaPro Positive Pellet Goat Dewormer. The clerk at the store said to give it to them just once a month, one cup in the morning in place of their grain. Is that correct?

Also, they are scratching themselves & he said they probably have worms, that is why they are scratching. Sound correct or is it lice, mites,...?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Probably lice. Mites start on the legs usually and cause a crusty area to form and hair loss in the area. You should be able to see the lice if you look through their hair. Yes you can worm them at that age. I am not familiar with that wormer. Valbazen is what is usually recommended on this forum for young goats.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
The problem with pellet wormers are they dont always eat all they need to work...and if they dont get enough then a resistance is built against the wormer...Its better to treat for worms as needed....A fecal is the best way to determine what worms they have and what wormer to choose...Valbazen is a great broad base wormer ..if fecals are not posible and the kids are showing signs of worms ie: coarse fuzzy coat, pale eye lids, loose stool, loosing weight..then Valbazen covers many of the problem worms including tape..
As for scratching, that would be as loggyacreslivestock said..mites or lice...you can see lice, you cant see mites but they do leave scaly flaking skin as sign they are there
if you can have a fecal done, include a cocci check..

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
The other problem with pellet wormers is that the drug in them is related to Nicotine. It can be dangerous and you might as well just feed the goats cigarettes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I am positive my goats have lice only then what is the best to use? My Pygmy was a rescue and he was infested, I tried to rid them before I bought his buddy but he was so lonely I couldn't wait so now I'm afraid they both have lice, what do I do?!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My horses bug spray has permethrin it's repel x concentrate. I mixed it with water because its a concentrate and bathed my boy in it twice two weeks in a row, that's what the vet told me to do but he still has them?! I guess I will try the dust, will it over power the poor boys if I sprayed them both and dust after they're dry?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts