The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering if anyone feeds raw goats milk to their dogs? Is it good for them? And how much would you feed them a day?

I am also planning to breed one of my dogs and wondering if it is okay to use to feed them if she had too many pups?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I feed raw milk to my 7 and 12 year old dogs every day. They love it, and I have only seen good results. :)

I have seen people mix raw goat milk with puppy food when they first start to wean them. What breed of dog do you breed?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yep, my dogs all get raw milk. Fixed males and intact females...ranging in age from 4 years to 13 years and size from 4lbs. to 119lbs. They also get raw eggs from my healthy free range chickens.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Yep , I give it to my guys as well. We also mix it into the puppies food when they start on solids :)
But do introduce it slowly so as not to cause a upset tummy ;)

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I too feed raw milk to my dogs, please don't feed dogs raw eggs though...cook them first...you can feed them the crunched up egg shells too.

I would not try to feed puppies unless ABSOLUTELY necessary (as, the bitch died). I have bred dogs for many years, and I have never had an instance were I needed to bottle feed a puppy. You can start feeding them "gruel" (crunch some puppy food mix with warm milk and a little cottage cheese at 4-5 weeks old). Be aware that when you start feeding them the mother will stop cleaning up after them!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hmmm We need to reworm the goats today, at double the dose -- I looked up the dog doseage for Safeguard and its the same amount as the dairy goat I am worming-- we will switch to herbal remedies next time around, but the little wether is looking poorly so we are reworming at Vet's direction...
So yes our dogs share her milk presently, she is giving us more than a quart AM and PM so its a fair amount of milk but the dogs sharing the milk are 55lbs (puppy) and 120lbs each respectively....
And we used to feed whole raw egg 3 times a week from our pastured hens for the last year (stopped currently only cause hens are molting and arent laying as well)....

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
There's no real reason not to feed raw eggs from your own chickens. It the factory farm handling that causes pathogens. The Albumin, which caused so many wives tales, has been found to cause no problems at all. As we learn more about this water soluble protein we are finding how healthy it is.

Nothing my dogs eat is cooked in any way, not their milk and eggs or their meat. In return they are happier, have few parasites, and my vet bills are much lower.

·
Owner of 4 La Manachas.
303 Posts
When we got Sky (avatar pic) I fed her whole raw goats milk and a raw egg from our free range chickens every morning. She has allergy problems with soy and corn do to what her breeder fed her. She is now over 13 months old and still gets that morning meal once a week.

When she got into the pig feed, which is nothing but corn and soy our vet said to put her back to what I fed her when we first got her to help clear it out of her system. That meant raw egg and milk and the vet knew it. Said it was the best thing for her. I fed Sky raw meat too since we grow our own here and some store bought raw when on sale. I have been breeding for 13 years and never had a problem.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
our dogs are also on raw. best looking dogs around. if you have a smelly dog, raw eggs make their stink go away. not sure why it works.... when we adopted our big dog, he stunk to high heaven, even after baths. gave him a few raw eggs a day, and no more stink.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well...I haven't fed it on purpose but I did leave a pale of warm, raw milk fresh out of the goat & my little foster dog found it while I was putting the goats back out to pasture. She was merrily slurping it as fast as she could when I got back. I think she drank a LOT. I thought sure I'd be cleaning up some bodily function that night, but she did not have the least ill effect, not even loose stool, after guzzleing maybe as much as a 1/2 to a quart of warm raw milk. Not that I recommend feeding that much to a 55# dog who's never had milk!

:)

·
1,524 Posts
I put raw goat milk on all my dogs performance kibble once a day. They also get goat milk yogurt, goat milk cheese and goat milk custard. I mix each product with their kibble.

I feed raw eggs from my hens and raw meat scraps from the butcher.

If you have a breed of dog that needs extra zinc, calcium blocks zinc absorption. My Northern breed of dogs need extra zinc added to their diet anyway, so I just add a bit more.

I have friends who raise and race sled dogs. They always request raw goat milk for their pups, starting around 3 weeks of age. They get it until they are about 3 months of age. My pups get it all their life, from about 4 weeks of age until they die.

·
4,499 Posts
My LGD gets raw eggs from the hens... and sometimes he even gets a hen or a duck... or turkey..or two! that are dumb enough to get into his field. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts