OK.. what are the chances he will do the job???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Robynlynn, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Ok so I have a new buck kid I bought for this fall's breedings.... he was born May 11, 2011....I have 10 does to breed. do ya think he's gping be able to "successfully"breed in October??? I've used a March buck before but he just seems so small right now?? Not small for his age just small to be the sire!
    what would you'all do??
    A.throw him in in Octoer and pray for the best?
    or
    B.find another older buck for this year??

2. Huggin I would say he could prolly get the job done for a few.... But not sure about all 10? I am not super experienced though.....so maybe someone else know different?? Good luck! Hope all works out for ya! :thumbup:

3. Tolers Boers

Tolers Boers New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Monticello KY
    I am confused which is it a may or march buck? May to Oct i don't think will do.
    but don't take my word for it. I know we are breeding in November late as our buckling will be 8 mo old and we know he will be ready. he is already dropping and making motions....lol....Good Luck

Attached Files:

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Do you have a picture of him? How big are your does compared to him? We have a fullblooded boer buckling who was born April 25th, and We had considered keeping him to breed to our few does, but don't know if he would be able to reach them....LOL
    If it were me, I'd look at how mature he is, and where he might be in 2 months....if you think he'll be okay then you can try him but make sure you have a backup plan so you don't miss the Oct heat cycle!

I want to start breeding girls next month so I'm going to be looking for a buck that is just mature enough to breed....oh fun!

5. A young buck can sire kids but not always and servicing 10 does may be a stretch. It all depends on the buck not his size but his attitude.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Logan...it can be possible... All you can do is.. see if it happens.... if that is the only buck access you will have.... :thumb:

7. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Yes, I guess he will do some maturing by October....I don't see me finding something else worth breeding them to by then..close to me anyway. I really don't want to spend $$ on something else either! Fall seemed so far away in May! LOL! :pray:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I guess you will find out...on how many babies will be on the ground...five months or so after ex-poser...to him......some young bucks may surprise you...and all may get preggo....

I myself...years ago... when starting out with the boers...couldn't afford a buck ....so we had a young 4 month old ... that little dude... bred 20 head of mature Does...all dropped babies.... :wink:

9. Wow Pam that was some 4 month old!! :shocked:

Are you planing to hand breed or pasture breed?

10. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Like I siad I had Kikos several years ago and I had a March buckling do the same thing....just needed to hear some more of those stories!
    My new little buck has some awesome lines....should he do the job, I could have some quality kids next year...so exciting
    Just hope it all goes as planned....I have no clean-up buck this year...so I'm counting on him.... :pray:

11. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    I have always pasture bred....pen breeding would be nice though as far as knowing the dates .....I'm alwasy afraid I'm going to miss seeing aheat cycle...My numbers here are low though so i can watch everyone write down breeding dates and can usually tell if there will be babies soon....USUALLY. Had a first freshener totally surprise me this year! This getting an udder the day you kid just doesn't work for me :)! I need a couple days notice!

12. I also pasture breed and watch and write dates.
    I think for your situation it will work well incase he can't get them all on their first heat he will hopefully catch them all within a few months!

13. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Possible, my buck bred the first of my does (the tallest of the open does at that time) when he was barely 3 months old...She just kidded with a single doeling (usually has twins) and the next doe is due in 1-2 weeks (I think she has twins hiding away).

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep... 4 months old... I was surprised then as well...so yep... if there is a will ...there is a way... :wink:

I always pasture breed.... :greengrin:

15. amylawrence

amylawrence New Member

Last fall I bought a savannah spring buckling and left him in with my 2 open girls - both had May doelings even though he was short-legged and growing slowly, so took him till December but he gotter done! Even my tall leggy Nubian had twins by him. Can't wait to see what he does this fall with 3 does, as he's a nice looking buck this fall, and even more excited for next season with those 3 and 4 more who will be ready by then!

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We may possibly be getting a young buck to breed a few does. He's a 5mo old fullblooded boer, and we're hoping he can get the open girls bred between Sept-Nov.

17. jaycee

jaycee Senior Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Alton, IL
    I am glad you asked this question because I was about to ask it myself. I have a late April Nubian buckling and 2 sets of doelings I'd like him to breed later in the fall... 2 sisters from early March and 2 from early May. I had him in the pen with all 4 girls until about a week and a half ago thinking they wouldnt come in heat until at least september....

Then one day out of the blue he was jumping everyone and extending himself... they werent standing for him but I wasnt chancing anything yanked him right out I dont want these girls bred early... had to scramble to find him a pen mate and finally found an unproven 2 year old doe to keep him company, if he can get her preggers thats just a bonus...

But in the process of searching I talked to one breeder who has had Nubians for 15 years. He had a yearling buck for sale. He claimed that the odds are my buckling will not be able to breed my 4 doelings this fall when hes about 6 mos old. He said in 15 years hes had only one 6 month old buck who could seal the deal. This went against all I had read before. As I said he was trying to sell me an older buck. Still he made me nervous I dont want to wait another year for all my girls to produce. Does what he said sound right?

18. I think it really depends on the buck. My Casper had bred his first doe successfully at 7 months old.

19. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    I really am getting nervous cuz little Bubba is not being very bucky at this point. ANyone experienced with AI ....http://www.biogenicsltd.com/index.html
    this seems like a good way to get some new blood....wonder what a vet would charge to do it???? Hate to waste expensive stuff like that by trying myself plus I don't have the equiptment for it. I've got 6 wks to wait and see what happens a lot can change in that amount of time!
    AI stories!!! I want to hear them!

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some young bucks will do the deed....no problem.....especially if they are of good size.... as others may be laughed at and not be taken seriously with the older Does....if you can get the stinkiest buck and rub a few rags on him and rub it on the Does nose and all over the buck....that may help....the stinkier the better.... :wink: