Ok, what is the big deal about Willow Run Armand Rishona?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yes, I know she was a grand champion. But it seems to me a lot of alpine breeders put a lot of emphasis on her. What's the big deal, am I missing something? Was she a goat that changed something? Please fill me in, because I'm either feeling really stupid right now, or I don't know what.

Help a nieve goatie... :whatgoat:

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Oooh... Yep, that helps a lot. Thanks!

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    ooooh, a celebrity of the goating world! She's a beautiful doe!

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It was a very sad day when that doe died. Talked to another breeder at the 05 nationals. Rishona had passed away only a few weeks before that. I was told that the new owners paid $10,000 for her, and then she passed away only a few weeks later. She produced some stunning offspring. Her buck kid (rushkin) holds the record for the highest selling goat at the spotlight sale. He sold for $16,000. I have a great grand daughter from her. Sadly Juno broke her leg at a month old. Had she been another kid i probably would of put her down but considering the blood lines i had i paid to get her fixed. She may never make the show ring but the genes will go on to produce more offspring.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I was looking at this thread andd something seemed really familiar. After a search on ADGA genetics, I realized what it is. Waailatpu bought her half brother Lothario. My friend had a Lothario daughter and has this buck in some of her goats' pedigrees. They are really nice Alpines.

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah. One thing that's frusterating is, that there is a great grandson of hers in my area. BUT he throws bad toplines from what I have seen. And his back legs are posty as well. Everybody seems to use him, and it makes finding a good goat hard to find. I think he is so far removed that all the good genetics are gone.

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    That was interesting!! What a beautiful beautiful doe!!!

8. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Seems odd to me that show goats would be de-horned. You'd think a breed standard would include the whole animal as breeding developed it, but I guess it's not any different than the standard for Dobermans is clipped ears.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Could be a liability issue as well.

10. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:D I take it you've never had your underwear hooked by a heat-crazed dairy doe . . . . :slapfloor:

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Trust me, disbudding is for the best with dairy goats. With a goat like that thats worth that much money, it would be a total loss to have her udder ripped by some disgruntled goat in the dairy barn. We had one ripped udder on a boer, its not pretty.

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've gotten horns in the face and legs and they are better to be removed.. dairy goat horns don't curve back immediatly like boers.. so risk of injury to themselfs, othergoats, and humans isgreater

13. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    As far as the Willow Run doe, she is like the ultimate goddess for the dairy goat world... If I ever had a doe that looked like that, I think I would die of a heart attack...lol.

-Meagan

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

14. carrotsnranch

carrotsnranch Active Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Fuquay NC
    toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.