OK...Which Doe is in Heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by groovyoldlady, Oct 24, 2013.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Hmmm. In the past few months I have been blessed with 2 Lamanchas. One was a free kid born this past March. The other is a yearling. Both are virgins.

I'd like to breed the yearling ASAP.

I have never dealt with Lamanchas in heat. My other girls (a Nubian and a Nigerian) make it very clear when I need to find a fellow for a hot date, but these 2 gals have me flummoxed. They don't call, they don't flag, they don't get more aggressive and cranky - or more snuggly. No discharge, no redness or swelling of the girl regions.

The only new behavior I see is that they periodically hump each other. My Nigey also tries to hump both of them (She's already bred for the year...)

So when they all get to humping, who is in heat? The humper? Or the humpee?

I do have a buck rag, but so far the only one who hasn't run from it is the Nigey!

I need to figure this out soon or I'll be paying a boarding fee at the breeder's!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You might be better off paying the boarding fee this year. Some girls just don't show a good heat.

3. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I agree with Karen... I have also found... That some of mine don't show a good heat until after they have been with a buck... :shrug: then they let me know loud and clear! Lol!

4. OakHollowRanch

OakHollowRanch New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Northern California
    I have the same issue. Zero signs from my Alpine and she is almost two!

5. lileomom

lileomom New Member

When they hump each other does the one on the bottom stand still? When we had a dairy herd we would watch for girls in "standing heat", meaning she would stand still when another cow rode her. Don't know if this really helps.

6. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    You need to watch both closely, but typically if the bottom is lightly walking away or standing she's the one in heat. The top may be trying to help her or she could be coming in as well. You can also spread her vulva and look inside. They're usually looser and bright red inside, along with nicely moistened.

7. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    Here's what I mean. Begonia is bred and settled, Coconut is in heat this morning. Here's comparison pics:

Ugh I'll post them when I get better service. :irritated:

image-898256552.jpg

Coconut. Moist inside, bright pink/red inside. Loosened (ready to receive).

image-1911827777.jpg

Begonia settled. Loose appearance, anus relaxed.

image-2459178658.jpg

Notice how tight the top of the vulva is, and how light in color.

Bottom pic: Coconut. In heat. Some things to note in this pic:
    "Puffy" in appearance, hooks are dirty, tail is wet and stained, and she was "winking" (or contracting the vulvar muscles) when I touched her tail.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My lamancha is very quiet about her cycles too...I'm milking her daily so I can keep a pretty close watch on her backside :/. She was just a little puffy and slightly pinkish yesterday...went into the buck pen and BAM ...bred! Today too!
    Good luck!

9. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse New Member

Two of my Nigies are very quiet and subtle when in heat. If you want to breed them right now, I would pay the boarding fee at the breeders.. The ladie who owns the buck I will be breeding my two does to will void the boarding fee if you bring your own hay/grain. Maybe see if this breeder will too.

10. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Oh mjs500doo, Thank you! If I can't "tell" in the next week, I'm going to leave her with the breeder, even if it takes a few extra bucks.