Ok you guru's I need some help - lots of pics

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by mistyblue, May 20, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have a pygmy/ND doe that should have kidded, well she did not, but going by the last date she can kid at the end of May.

This is the Great White Whale - Mazie, we think she is naturaly polled, 5yrs old never breed until this year, and she was amazinly overweight when we got her. She is also very buckish, she was just this morning talking, pawing and trying to mount the other girls.

She has a udder as you can see, it is soft and pliable, been this size for over a month, had her x-rayed, they took if from her right side (wrong side of course) and could not see any babies.

Now I want to see what you think, is it possible that she does have one, and they just could not see it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats quite an udder for a doe who isnt bred, are you positive on her breeding date?

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Yup, she was pulled from the buck pen around the first of January. Her udder has been that size for so long that she has started rubbing sores onto the sides of it. I am having to rub bag balm on it right now. The vet told me to start milking her bag out but I am hoping that she does have a baby in there.

I would think that she would start drying up if she lost the kids and if it is a false pregnancie how long will she have that udder.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you pulled the buck the end of January she has till the end of June to kid

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It looks like she has dropped by the 4th and 6th picture -

Can you feel any movement on the left side down towards the bottom or in front of the udder?

If you bounce her - can you feel anything?

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    She was pulled from the buck pen on January the 9th. So that should actually give her to sometime around June the 8th.

Maybe we are just rushing her but with a udder that size we thought for sure that she was going to kid last month.

We can not feel any movement at all, I have not tried to bounce her as I am not sure what I would be looking for.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm betting she goes in the next week, acting like a buck is her way of being confused over the late pregnancy hormones. LOL...She looks like my Angel's dam did a month before she delivered, seems that when the attachments are lacking in the rear udder it makes it appear to be much larger than it is, watch the kids when she delivers, they may need some help latching on and that udder is going to fill even more.
    Angels dam was 4 years old when she had kids for the first time.

8. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    OMG, Liz if that udder fill anymore it is going to pop! I hope you are right, we are really looking forward to see what she will produce and if the buck will help with that udder attachment.

She is just going to drive me crazy until she has those babies. I wonder if they did not show up on the x-ray because they were still to small.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... she does have a little longer to go..... :wink: :thumb:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....Careful what you wish for Misty, Angels udder is MUCH improved over her dams.....to the point of having no capacity! She produces on demand only~! it is nice and high, tight against her body and her teats are bigger this time than last. I hope the buck you used gives you what you expect.

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am new to goats, but OMG her udder looks HUGE! And I agree with the others, if she was pulled on the 9th of January she could still have time.

Our girls were bred around Jan 15th, they are boer does and they seem to be a little bit bigger than your girl, but not much. Their udders have dropped a little but are still very soft.

12. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    You should see her try to walk with that udder swinging back and forth, she waddles like a duck, poor girl.

Liz, why are you trying to jinx me? LOL I am not sure how he improves udders on those does yet as his first daughter is not due until September. I cannot wait to see what he does for those girls if anything. But he has improved everything else on them so I do not see why he wouldn't.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would watch her carefully, that second pictures to me looks like lumps. Just watch for mastitis.

14. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I agree the udder does look rather lumpy and pretty red/irritated. Something to keep an eye on. How long ago did she begin to develop it? I had a neighbor that has a pygmy X doe. She was never bred, never exposed to a buck and her udder began to fill. It was pretty huge as well. I would call it a precocious udder except it never dried off and she never milked her. This doe also acted very bucky all the time. She was not very tame so I never really had a chance to milk any out to see if it was actual milk she was producing. Her vet (who was a horse vet) didn't know what to think but said it was not mastitis. It always intrigued me...