okay i have another question- on teat dips this time

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by luvbug*diapers, Mar 5, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    what does everyone use.
    ive been using a diluted bleach for my dip,but think this could be part of her skin reactions too on her udder.

just wondering if nolvasan or betadine would be better or more gentler for her.
    they are pricy here like $40.00 for a quart of the nolvasan eeks i like the 1.40 for the gallon of bleach.

thank you

2. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Texas
    I know betadine is pretty gentle, but you still need to dilute it. Well... "need." You can find betadine fairly inexpensively at most pharmacies, and if you dilute it down to a tea color it might last. I'm not sure if that's a better or worse deal than buying it as it's meant for animals, but it's just an iodine mix.

3. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    have you tried fightback?

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Use Tea Tree oil as it is not too pricey and very effective ,,, can be diluted with Vit E oil

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    What bleach/water ratio do you use? Anything more than a 1/10th bleach solution could be too irritating.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've used a glyceri and rubbing alcohol mixture before. The alcohol sanitizes and the glycerin prevents dryness and irritation.

7. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    around tablespoon to say a inbeteen a pt. and a qt.
    just a dipping bowl i use.
    renee

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    After trying multiple things my first year and a half of milking I have settled on using baby wipes to wash the udder and teats before milking. I make sure the wipes are hypoallergenic and have aloe in them. After milking I spray each teat with "fight bac". In the winter I keep the wipes and spray in the house and carry them out at each milking... to keep them warm. In the summer I just keep them in the barn near the milk stand.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use baby wipes as well....before and after.

10. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I'm sensitive to bleach and iodine. I use 1/2 tsp copper sulfate in 1 gallon of water. I use it to sanitize the equipment as well.

11. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    Interesting,how does that work?
    The copper does the sanitizing?
    That would be and easy and cheep way to do it.
    I have a bag of that on hand too.
    Is it the stuff for the chickens?

renee

12. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I wipe down with baby wipes before hand (you can add about 1/2 bottle of alcohol to them if you want), then I spray with a Vanodine mixture after milking.

13. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Copper kills bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and algae. I put it in the water for all my animals, including poultry, partly to keep the algae clear, but the copper is beneficial in small doses.

14. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    oh thank you,so much to know abiout these goaties.