Okay, I'm sure it's been asked before, but... Are they bred?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Does anybody know how to tell? What should I be looking for, and how soon?

I will get photos up in this week.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Okay, I'm sure it's been asked before, but... Are they b

Pen bred or hand bred? if pen bred how long were they in with the buck? I watch for sign of heat 18-21 days after my does are hand bred(buck on leash being led to the doe)...if you've not noticed any sign of heat and the buck is not with them then assume they are bred.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

I have 2 bucks on the property. I would notice that the some of the girls would be acting like they were in heat. So I would slect which buck I wanted to use at the time, and pop the buck in. They would chase or follow the girls until the buck would mount them. Then I would put the buck back after a few hours, or overnight.

However, I have one doe (Delila) that I bred one buck to (he bred her several times), and about 10 days later she looked like she was back in heat. So I threw one of the bucks in overnight, and the next morning her back end was messy and had white goo there. another 10 days later I did the same thing because she was acting like she was in heat, and again, I put a buck in overnight, and again, white goo on her backend in the morning.
    So??? I don't know what is going on. Maybe she's just a hussie, I don't know!

I think the other girls are bred. Except for my older doe (Moons) that I hand bred, and it looked like she went back into heat again. So I have had the buck in for a couple of days, but it does not look like he has bred her.

4. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA

I'm gonna go with the "hussie" theory..... some bucks are just that good.

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

LOL :ROFL: You are bad!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The one that has had the short repeated cycles/breedings may be cystic...I would go by the first breeding though as far as figuring a due date..this way you know for sure the earliest you could expect to see kids, the others are likely bred if they didn't ccome into heat. My does will haunt the bucks fenceline the first 2 months of pregnancy...no sign of heat, just wanting the boys, it's the early pregnancy hormones that will cause the confusion.

7. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah

:slapfloor: One of my girls would wag her tail (in heat) every other week! The main clue was that the buck
    was not interested in her every time she waged her tail in his face. If that is not hussy behavior I don't know what is. :ROFL:
    I would also track the pregnancy from the first date that is what I am doing with my Hussy
    Suellen

8. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010

You can do an easy pregnancy test and a CAE test with a blood sample from your own goat. I think you have to wait 30 days or so after the breeding to get an accurate pregnancy test. This is the website:
    <http://www.biotracking.com/goats>

They sell the kits for taking blood samples, and there are videos on the net on how to do it (an eight year old shows how to do it in one video). Or you can ask your vet to take a sample.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

ok. I still need to put up photos. My camera battery is on the fritz.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

I usually can't tell by looking until they are about 3 months along...around that time things begin to loosen up "back there". The vulva will start to look kind of puffy and you will notice that when the doe walks or trots around everything kind of jiggles. This gets progressively more obvious as the due date draws near.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

I am positive that Bunny in preggers. I just bred her Jan 2nd, and she is already looking "soft" back there. I don't know about anyone else. Hussie was bred again today, she bust through the gate to be with one of the bucks. I dunno about that girl.