The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when a buck breeds at a young age your doe is most likely to have a buck. What is y'alls experience with that, And how many of you think this is accurate?

·
8,067 Posts
There are all kinds of things people try to get only does or bucks. Breed late in the cycle, right before they go out of heat - supposed to get a doe kid, put vinegar in water, might help. (Helps with health, not sure of the sex of the kid). Overall, they all work out to around 50% ish..... Over time...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
well I dont believe age has anything to do with it, it is just each individual thing, my first buck's first kids at 4-5 months was a doe, 2 bucks and a doe, and two does out of 3 different mamas

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are a lot of factors that go into determining gender of the kid. Age of the doe really doesn't come into play.

The male sperm is what determines the gender. Now There are quite a few other factors that come into play. I have seen some research (I do not have the links handy or I'd share them) where the male sperm is supposed to be faster but the female sperm can last a little longer. So depending on when the doe actually ovulates can come into play, this is not just when she comes into heat but when the sperm officially meet the egg. There can be other genetic and environmental factors that can also come up but in the end unless its a proven buck that is known for throwing more of one gender than the other then it really is a 50/50 chance

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Yes, some individual males have offspring of mainly one sex. But, in what way should those other things work?

The only thing I have heard of to separate Y-sperms from X-sperms is electricity. Then they will wander in different directions. But I know not if that might have any other impacts on the sperms, such as DNA damages.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
when a buck breeds at a young age your doe is most likely to have a buck. What is y'alls experience with that, And how many of you think this is accurate?
Statements like this (and dozens like them) only prove that superstition is still alive and well in the goat breeding community! It seems like when there's anything outside human control, voodoo theories and black magic remedies run rampant. The good thing is that most of them are harmless except to people's expectations.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Last year research came out of some huge sheep farms in New Zealand (or was it Australia?), done by their university. Anyway, they found that ewes produced more females if fed grain for a few weeks before breeding and males if fed no grain, just pasture and hay.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Last year research came out of some huge sheep farms in New Zealand (or was it Australia?), done by their university. Anyway, they found that ewes produced more females if fed grain for a few weeks before breeding and males if fed no grain, just pasture and hay.
It would be interesting to see what the actual proportional difference is in numbers.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I didn't even read the other comments I just wanted to answer this.
So My buckling was 8-9 months old when he bred all of my does and so far out of 7 babies I have 6 doelings.
I don't believe either parent decides the gender of the babies. I believe conditions decide what the mother drops. Each ovum has its own gender pre chosin as does the sperm. So if conditions are favorable then more females will be born to further the spices. And if the conditions aren't favorable then more males will be born.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We had the neighbor's buck jump the fence and breed some of ours, including 2 that were 5 months old. One ended up having 3 girls, the other one had 2 girls. Both were fine, but I was worried they were too young. Both had their kids when we were not looking and managed totally on their own also.

Oh wait, I read that wrong, you meant the buck is young, right? Well, maybe true then. The first year our buck was around 6 months when he breed our does, we had almost all boys

1 - 20 of 45 Posts