Okay okay...I didn't want to jinx it but...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 27, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

There are some extremely knowledgeable Nigi lovers on here so I was wondering if you might all tell us what you think. Laura (TinyHooves) and I are thinking about getting two sister doelings from Shannon (PoppyPatch) out of my favorite doe that she has, Poppy Seed. Laura and I are working together a lot on improving our herds and we both think these two does would make excellent additions to our herds. What do you think:

Socialite (to predominately be at Quaking Canopy) and Uptown Girl (to predominately be at TinyHooves with a first doe back to come to Quaking Canopy out of her FF kids) Are both listed here on the for sale page:
    http://www.angelfire.com/super2/poppypatch/sales.html

I'll wait for Shannon to post current pictures since I wouldn't want to post them without her okay

They are out of Poppy Seed (2nd doe down...look at that udder!)
    http://www.angelfire.com/super2/poppypa ... pions.html

And by Playboy, 4th boy down:
    http://www.angelfire.com/super2/poppypa ... sires.html

Opinions? We are trying to get together the money for them and make deals between us to incorporate their genetics into our herds. Would you buy them?

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

DON'T BUY THEM. I want them. :laugh:
    LOL. They are both really nice girls and if I wasn't getting a Lamancha I would definitely be getting Uptown girl.

3. pennylullabelle

You know what is just awful? I was like....should I post this? I might bring them to the attention of some other breeders and loose them!! But lol in all fairness, if I don't buy them then I have no claim!

4. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

That's like telling me to buy her, Amanda! :ROFL:
    Goodluck can't wait to see what they do for you. :drool:

5. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

If I didn't live across the country and had a way to get them here, one of those girls would have been mine! :)

Add to that- I have a doeling reserved from Poppy Seed this year :lovey:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I really like them, very cute. I thought about getting them when they were listed, but I just can't get any more right now. They would be a great addition to any herd...especially since you're trying to build up.

7. pennylullabelle

Talitha - NO! Don't buy them! They're...um...um...They're black/brown and white! Yeah, yeah, that's it. You don't need that! Pfffsshhhtt....Okay so I couldn't think of anything bad to say about them!

PHF - I thought about reserving a doeling from Poppy Seed before I knew the does were for sale. But I have so many doelings to choose from this Spring...and I have a couple of reservations between SDK, Tiny Hooves, and Castle Rock (Cmon Sky gimmie a lil girl!!!...hehe I really like the Sky/Sara/Alum line). So, I heard Shannon was reducing so I went to her page and THERE THEY WERE! But I had already reserved Thumper and Shiloh so I just wasn't sure. Anyways, it's really cool you'll have a daughter from her this year!!

Kylee - It's working to my advantage that you can't get anymore :p But that is pretty much what I was thinking. I have a couple of nice does who I will need to do some work refining each generation, and then I have a couple of really nice ones who will be the backbone of my herd. I think Socialite and the daughter from Uptown Girl I'd get would be part of the backbone. Shannon has a pretty awesome program and some AMAZING results!

8. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

NO ONE TOUCH UPTOWN GIRL!!!! shes soooo bad!! I will take her....But Im SUFFERING INSIDE!!!

I hope all of you are happy :ROFL:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very nice doelings -- even at a young age you can see the style and their nice strong brisket (I see lots of "nice" goats with no brisket makes them look unbalanced)

Of course the coloring of both is just stunning. I want that Togg color too :p

10. pennylullabelle

I feel for you Laura...I do...but we will suffer together knowing we prevented these does from entering someone else herd...
    :laugh: :ROFL: :slapfloor:

Okay....let's face it...they awesome! :lovey: :lovey:

Stacey- Great eye on their brisket! I have noticed that too. Like...it's something some breeders just aren't aware of? Oh and how funny you would mention the Togg coloring. When Laura and I first started discussing this I was like "I'm game!...but you can have Uptown Girl...I don't like the Togg coloring"

11. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya.... me and you are taking one for the team LOL

And I actually like the Toggy Coloring haha its CUTE

We better get these GOATS!

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    SAD I LOVE IT

My desire is to have all sorts of colors in my herd. I have red, buckskin, black and white, white (with gold and with brown), Brown and tan, then I want a cou blanc or cou clair, and the togg color and I will be all set :)

13. TinyHoovesRanch

OMG STACEY!!!!! thats what my goal is!!!

LOL

14. pennylullabelle

Aw I'm all along on this one! I dunno why I don't like it? I don't like the sable/pygmy coloring either. Something about the way it makes their expressions look...But I'm glad you like it Laura!!! That way there's no question who gets which doe ;)

I have a lot of color variety here too. So, I am with you there! Thumper is an almost perfect "San Clemente" buckskin. Porsche is a neat brown buckskin. I have some tan/red and whites. I'd love to get a cou clair and a chamoisee! Oh...and Shiloh is just random, but it's cool :) But...as Stacey said...the colors are just an added bonus on some nice doelings!!

15. TinyHoovesRanch

I pretty much like al colors.....They both are REALLY cute!!!

I would just be happy getting one LOL
    ALTHOUGH......they are horrible....remember....dont get them......Me and Amanda will take them...... :hi5:

Ahhhh I love Thumpers coloring! And Porsche!!!

16. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    Wow, I'm a little jealous of you- I'd love to get some more does, but I really shouldn't. And they are so gorgeous.

17. TinyHoovesRanch

I guess I have too much goats... :greengrin:

BUT how could I resist??? :GAAH:

18. pennylullabelle

Well, see I DO have a plan for my herd that is very carefully thought out working closely with my friends/mentors in the goatie world. I'm not just snatching up does left and right...trust me! I have sifted through hundreds!! And while I can't afford for everyone to cost $400-500 each (like...Porsche...or Socialite...) I want to allow myself to bring in a couple of super nice does. So long as they match the gene pools I am willing to pull from to breed to my buck who is out of a buck who throws VERY nice refined kids with good udders when bred to some does...and then only pet quality does with only okay udders when bred to other does. So, until I know how he crosses with each lines I am selecting accordingly. I am also working to prepare myself for future bucks and how that will interact with the decisions I make today. At the same time I want does I can successfully show for exposure for not only my farm, but the breed in general. It's my pure intention to improve the breed within my efforts to build my own herd. I recognize that not every doe I get will be a lifer. But I try to select ones who will because I become very attached. I am taking a risk with 4...and once Socialite is here...5 FF this year. I don't know if their udders will be up to my standards and can only hope my judgment is on the mark with them.

It's my goal to have no more goats then I can manage and not to get too big too fast. I have been to a few farms with 200 or more goats...I was not impressed...But I have been to farms with 10-15 goats and thought - boy do you need to downsize!! I am willing to buy just as many as I feel I am managing well - maintaining their nutrition as well as emotional needs, housing properly, and of course my ability to keep up after them acceptably and so forth. I feel like I am nearing that number for sure. I would like to bring in the last couple of does I am considering - possibly eliminating one or two - then allow the goats here to freshen and decide where to move forward after that.

After Socialite, Twist or her daughter (at SDK) and Tumble (at Hoofin It) I can honestly say there are no others I am interested. I will get a few does from reservations/trades (Twists doeling - possibly, a doeling from Ain't Misbehave'n And Then Some, and one from a doe to be chosen *soon* at Castle rock...though I am considering one doe/buck combo there for a buck...) So...lets say all those animals come home...I'll have 13 goats and possibly a couple of retained does. Less potentially sold goats...you get the idea.

Not sure where I was going with all this...but I typed it up may as well post it!! I guess that I have gotten a lot of goats in a short period of time but I have tried to make each doe a good decision so I can work towards a really nice herd that I'll be proud to share with other Nigi experts and novices alike! And that I'm not able to just get any ole goat who catches my eye and have to select carefully for my goals. I think Socialite will make a really nice edition :)

19. TinyHoovesRanch

GREAT PLAN!!!!

I especially like the doe you are getting a kid from....And Then some :ROFL:

I want to do that plan too! Sounds really good and thought out!

20. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    If it were me, I'd go for a buck from Castle Rock, rather than a doe. Especially with the number of does you'll have, and the fact that you may find it difficult to actually find enough outside bucks to breed to, as well as be able to actually get your does to when they're ready. Plus, then I could use him on my does as well ;). Hint...hint...hint