Okay quick question, but please don't judge!!

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by Iluvlilly!, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    So as many of you know I bought a new buck from somebody, when we got him he was sick (the person gave him Draxxin before the goat left the farm without my consent). They said he weighed 60lbs.....well he was maybe 40-50. I was aware that the goat had to be quarantined, but I still got him because that's just who I am. When we were looking at the goat there was a dead one in the pen, the seller said that he was going to take the dead one to the vet and get a necropsy done on him, I told him to let me know what he found out. Luckily he did, and I got a fecal done on my boy as well. The seller said that if the goat didn't make it he would make it right with me.
    Well 2 months later I have quite a bit of money into the goat and more coming...would you guy's ask the seller to pay for anything? Or do you say once they leave the sellers place it's all your expense? Just didn't know what you guy's do? Please don't judge!!
    Thank you!!
    ~Evelyn~

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately, once he is in your possession, it is your dime. You can always talk to the seller and see it more than likely he won't.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You can ask but I wouldn’t expect it.

4. Iluvlilly!

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Okay so once he is cleared up i will bring it up to him but i wont expect anything from the seller. Another question, lets say the seller was you guys what would u do? Would you help cover expenses? Or would you not even have let that goat leave your farm?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would have never sold a sick animal, especially if a dead one was in with him. But once an animal leaves my property, any expenses are the buyers. But again, any animal that leaves my property is healthy.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I won’t even sell a animal with a slight limp. I mean maybe to be processed but not for breeding or a pet. 1. I don’t want to be known as someone that sells issues to someone. 2. I don’t ever want any buyer to have to learn something the hard way with my stock and 3. I’m OCD enough and have little faith in people and their abilities to do what is right. But that is just me and my reasons and totally NOT being said with you being the buyer in this.
    The issue with asking the seller for money back for expenses is they may not have been willing to put the amount of money into the animal that you have. If the animal was still under their care they might have cut their losses a long time ago. So I agree with you, bring it up and see what happens but don’t expect anything.
    Hopefully whatever you have going on the little guy gets back on his feet fast for you.

7. W Dean

W Dean Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Kind of same boat here. We purchased one against our better judgment. But here we are, she is healthy now and doing very well. Best to know that you made a difference for one of God’s creatures, and move on.

8. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    We just sold a goat and before anything we health checked her down for CL, did her hooves, dewormed, and even gave her the yearly cd&t and gave the buyer a sales receipt now if a seller can't say when they gave this or that I dose again with cd&t and then wait a week before deworming again and when I'm on the farm I check hooves, famacha score and feel down for lumps I also check for joint flexibility and see if there's any swelling.

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am sorry you all had this experience. I would not leave a sick animal off my lot. If I cannot get the baby healthy I keep it till the last day. I run a rescue so I get the worse of the worse. My heart breaks every time. Ask. The worste than can happen is you get a no.

10. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    If a seller can't confirm that the animals healthy then either pay to get the seller to check them or pick a new animal but you could take the chance of them being sick

11. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Like others said above, I’d never sell a sick animal for so many reasons. When we sold our two bucklings, they both needed to be banded which is something that our buyer paid for, not us. But, I did sell them each for $125 rather than $150 since I knew it would be a pain to find someone to band them since they were 6 months old, and I was happy they would be sold together. ;)
    Hoping he gets better soon! I don’t think it would hurt to ask, but I’d expect for him to say no.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, I will not sell a sick goat to anyone. It is not fair to the buyer or the goat.

13. Iluvlilly!

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Thank you all so much!!:hug: I appreciate your help:ty:

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California