okay.. so i need more mancha advice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SDK, Feb 11, 2010.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    since i have decided to sell most of the nigerians i went on the prowl for lamanchas.. and i went to my mentor to get info / reccomendations from her.

and she offered me this guy!

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=L001479116

he carries southfork(grandson of cayenne) and altrece along with here -be -goats and more fun :)

she offered him to me for 350 with a collection, or 250 with a doe kid out of demi back.

i remeber seeing him as a kid, he's cute. but she bought his mom so doesnt need him

but i dunno if i really need abuck yet. it'd be nice though because then i dont need to transport the girls and pay stud fees. and if he's good enough for jo hes good for my herd right??

i guess my hesitation is how big are your mancha bucks? are they bad during rut (like boers). hard to contain.. do i need one for a couple of does?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    forgot to add, i planned on getting him collected too.. he's got awesome lines.. i have room.. just scared of bigger bucks

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    SDK, I have the mini-manchas but if they are anything like the full size, then you should have no problems.

Both my boys are laid back, easy going, guys. Sometimes they act more like a dog than a goat. But from my understanding this is a Lamancha trait even on the full size. But there is always those few that have to be pains. :devilish:

As for needing a buck for a couple of does, that would depend on your plan for him and your girls. I think I would also take into consideration, how easy it is to find a nice Lamancha buck in your area.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea, i live in the land of dairy goats, but he's a timbercove buck, and the lines aren't familiar ones out here. plus i wont have to pay to ship him out.. he's already here!.. my only hesitation is the temperament.. though i guess he should be a puppy, since jo is picky on tempers

5. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Someone with fainters a while back posted a picture of a doe who wouldn't go over like a few inches of fence because...she'd seizure! Well, that's what the bucks where I got two of my (Nigi) does were like. Both Manchies, living together in 36 foot fence. And A Nigi buck in a pen with 20 or so does...neither Manchie buck tried to escape or throw a fit. They were quite happy to just hang out and get pet. Hope that helps a little with the decision...

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'm just wanteing one easy to handle.. but.. as soon as i place/find homes for the nigies and have some money, i'm going up to look at her does to see if i want a kid or a yearling in milk.. putting down deposits and all that fun. I was shocked when she offered him to me, her kindness knows no bounds

7. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    With regards to the lamancha buck behavior, they are quite massive beasts! We have one that is a gentle giant, but another one that is very aggressive and powerful during breeding season. The brute came off a certain line that all the bucks were like this, but you can't help but keep them because they throw beautiful kids! It just depends on your luck truely!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    well i've decided on him... once i place some of the nigerians and have cash i'll be going up to her herd and looking at his mom and potential does

9. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    watch out, the lamancha vortex will suck you in any moment:))

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol it did two years ago, just havent had the money to buy more.. i had to save a year to get the one.. then another, now i plan on a buck and 1 or2 does

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Cool = glad you are getting him :)

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'M EXCITED.. lol.. i did ADGA genetics planning.. and its a loose linebreeding on dutch belted!

if kabooki isn't registered, but the sire is , could the kids be registered as percentages?

13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Congrats!! He is handsome!

Yes, the kids can be recorded as 50% American Lamanchas and would show in the recorded grade class.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    okay awesome.. and all i would need is the sire's number?? because i think kabooki is nice.. just her rearudder is lower than it should be

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    When you register you just leave the dam's name blank on the application(or just put unregistered lamancha type doe) :)

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    okay awesome.. the way kabooki has been acting makes me think that she feels inferior to the showgirls.. since she always got left home... so raising kids like the other girls might make her happier :) lol .. she's bred to the nigie.. but none get to stay

17. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    South Fork is aweasome! I have a Cayenne granddaughter-unfortunately Cayenne is done having kids-i'd have loved to have a Cayenne daughter. But when I saw her last year she was still beautiful even as an aged doe. I also have a Tropical Cruise daughter and granddaughters that so far are gorgeous. I will have kids available soon if you know of anyone who needs some LaManchas ;-).

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I thought that she was leased to Shady Lawn Farm and they were going to try and to an ET on her? was she not a good candidate?

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i heard they tried to flush but it didnt work so now she's happily retired..

20. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Yeah the couldn't find any embroys unfortunately.