Okay so my awesome but hectic last few days ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Mar 2, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I headed off to Canberra show on Wednesday, with my goats and cattle.

Got the cattle and goats settled in, Wednesday was pretty quiet except for a little problem when I arrived, the goat superintendent had forgotten I was coming early and the pens werent ready!

Thursday was an early start to get the cattle washed because the students from the local high school wanted to use the heifer for paraders which started at 8am. Thursday afternoon was washing, trimming hair and feet time for the goats. It ended up very interesting as the chap who was washing in the wash bay next to me, his buck got away and took off around the showground, down through the horse camping area. I took Charlotte and walked with the owner to try and find the buck, we walked for about 2km until we found him, someone on a horse had roped him. We then walked him back, would you believe it, he never even puffed!

Friday was another early start to wash the cattle again, because judging started at 9am for the murray greys. Our heifer won her class and got junior champion heifer. Our bull won his class and was reserve champion junior bull. Friday was a mixed day, highlights were of course the cattle winning, and getting to meet Alyssa (Piccolo) who came up to help me with the goats! Not so good points were that the cattle played up something shocking, and April my handler and right hand man (girl) dislocated her knee half way through judging.

Saturday we got going showing the goats at 8.30am. I only had my two does and from work a doe and a buck and none of them did particularly well in the show ring. Charlotte was my best chance for a ribbon and she was a bit hard done by, because she cut a tooth and so she ended up being put into the class with the 3 yr old does - she is only 1 and a half!

The only exciting bit was when I showed a little doe for a friend, she was placed 1st out of a huge class of about 40 animals. And get this - I might be bringing her home! (How cool is that, Alyssa!) I never never thought they would sell her but the owner said we could work something out ...

Sunday was the interbreed in the cattle section, the murray grey cow was named best beef exhibit of show, an outstanding achievement for our breed! Alyssa had a go in the boer goat junior judging, and unfortunately had to leave before handlers. I loaded up and headed off about 6.30pm and got home just before midnight.

2. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    WOW, busy with some excitement thrown in there too!

Cool on all the placings-excellent on the bull and doe! :thumb: Cool to on meeting Alyssa; speedy recovery for April-ouch.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow what a weekend!

sounds like it was fun though in its own way. I love shows, they can be unpredictable though when you are dealing with animals.

Pictures ???

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Haha, Alyssa told me quite a bit about that, she said she had tons of fun!
    Congrats on your cattle!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you have sure been... keeping busy...busy...busy ...haven't you.... :wink: :greengrin:

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That sounds like so much fun!!

I wants to see your cows. :greengrin: I've never heard of that breed.

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lol yeah the show was awesome
    And wow I really hope you get that doe she is so pretty :love:

You forgot to add the part where the pens got flooded :p

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of that Alyssa :roll: lol the pens got flooded from the washbay and I ended up cleaning out sour, maggoty straw and hay at midnight. Oh what fun!

Yep, I havent talked to the breeder yet but she should be mine eventually! You should have seen her Sunday lunchtime - mum and dad came up for a look around the show, and I showed them her, and she came to the front of the pen and started smooching and loving on me - and Rob (the breeder) said she was a nutcase at home and really wild and crazy. I seriously love her she is so sweet and such a good type of doe.

Kindof off topic, there is a person in Newcastle selling off a heap of standards and reds from an ET program, goats from Terraweena, Jimboer, Harfield, and a heap of other BIG BIG names, all for $200 each which is AMAZING seriously because those does would normally cost upwards of one and a half grand and the reds start at 2 grand. Pity pity pity I really cant afford to feed any more. :(

9. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    oh yeahh that sucks. at least some other lucky people will find them xD

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hey, cool that you guys had a great time at the show even though the goats didnt do so well. Maybe Pappeh (Alyssa) will get a chance to talk to me now? ROFL

LW

11. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    well maybe if i had your msn i would talk to you more :thumbup:

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    psh. bad child. You have mooseland, what more do you need? =]
    LW

13. PiccoloGoat