Okay, what to tell this buyer..

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Bebop, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. Bebop

    Bebop New Member

    221
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    I feel bad about this, but I hadn't heard from her in a few days, did not get a deposit, and I'm going to be trading the buckling that I offered her to someone else.
    I had been going back and forth with the gold and white buckling, but I offered him to her since she had wanted him in the first place. :shrug:
    I emailed her about it because I just got an email from her last night and saw this morning saying she was still interested, but I let her know what happened and now she's saying please don't sell the buckling to someone else, but the last email I sent her was about sending me a deposit so I can register the buckling and I never got one.

    Has this happened to anyone? What do I do? I don't want to be a jerk :(
     
  2. firelight27

    firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    As long as you gave her plenty of time to respond and she simply did not get around to it.....I personally would have emailed her several times and let her know that you absolutely needed the deposit to hold the buckling or else he may go to someone else. If all of this was made clear, it is her loss for not being timely about a response. I would have probably given her an entire week, however, rather than a few days to respond before moving forward. I also would have been likely to contact her at the point that I decided I might want to trade the buckling to someone else and inform her of this and waited a few extra days to give her first choice. At that point I would only hold the buck for her if she gave you an affirmative about sending the deposit and you received a check or what not within a week.

    I had a lady be really flaky with me on a horse I was trying to sell. She came and saw him twice, rode him, all of that jazz. Then she didn't contact me for a week and I was holding off on showing him to any more interested parties to give her a chance to decide if she was further interested. So I called her after that week, talked to her and told her that if she hadn't called me by that Saturday and let me know how interested in him she was, I was showing him to some interested buyers on Sunday. Saturday came, no call. The other people came out Sunday and wrote me a check on the spot. The lady called back on Tuesday saying she wanted to buy him, and was utterly shocked that I showed him to buyers on Sunday and that he was gone and was very upset. She went so far as to show up at my house again, begging me to give her the contact information for the guy who had just bought him. I told her I wouldn't, called the guy who bought him (he was a sheriff) and told him this lady was showing up at my house and was starting to freak me out and wanted to buy the horse off of him. He told me all of this stuff about stalking and how it was illegal, offered to arrest her if she came back to my house, and then told me that I could call her and tell her that he wasn't interested in selling and was thankful I called him first instead of giving out his information to the woman.

    In this case, I would say that only giving her a few days to respond was probably not enough. I think that if it had only been a few days I would have contacted her about having a chance to trade the buckling and then given her a few extra days to respond. However, if you also made it clear that there were no guarantees on getting the buck without a deposit it is up to you.
     

  3. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You just simply cannot hold every kid for everyone saying they want it...I mean of course give them a few days to get the deposit to you, but if you don't hear back it's perfectly reasonable to move on. If I really wanted a kid, I would send the deposit as soon as I said I'll take him/her, or if I didn't I would email/call the person and say I am getting the deposit out tomorrow or the next day, etc. If they said they were sending a deposit, then send it, if you don't get the deposit then your chance to reserve the kid has come and gone. If I were you I wouldn't feel bad at all, you gave her a perfect oportunity to reserve the kid.

    If you don't mind selling the kid to her still, then say you need the deposit by ________ , if you don't get it then you won't hold it for her any longer. If you really want to do the trade instead, then just say, you didn't hear back or get a deposit so figured you weren't still interested.

    It might sound harsh, but honestly, i've had so many buyers do stuff like this and still not end up getting the kid, that if they aren't serious, i'm not going to sell whichever kid(s) they want at the time when I have other people ready to actually send a deposit or come out and get the kid, etc.
     
  4. jberter

    jberter New Member

    What Kylee said and then some,,, they had every chance to send a deposit, no matter what size so as to let you know they were realy interested in your goats .! In the end it's totaly up to you,, but also remember a lot of times the wishy washy ones will always find something to complain about later. :roll:
     
  5. Bebop

    Bebop New Member

    221
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Well, we had been in contact since the 4th and our last email and phone call was on the 17th. and then let her know the 18th. I just heard from her today.
    I'm confused, but I'm going to call the trade off.. I really would like another registered Nigerian dwarf doe, but I don't want any bad feelings. I'm still new at this whole thing.
     
  6. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    No deposit? Then first come first serve. If you find something you like better, that's what you should do. Without a deposit, the person has no claim on the kid.

    I do kind of have this situation, as I have a lot of demand for my kids and only so many kids. So I have to go down the list and they get a brief window of time to respond to me and get me a deposit, or I move on.
     
  7. jberter

    jberter New Member

    Listen to your heart & mind if you feel something is not"just right"... I show & breed my Akita dogs and when I have a planned litter of show puppy's I have learned to do that,, when something doesn't feel right in the bottom of your tummy,, don't do it...I take my breeding programs very seriously, be it my show dogs or my goats, you will find the right person yet to deal with,, just have faith in your judgment,, O.K. :hug:
    Betty
     
  8. Bebop

    Bebop New Member

    221
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Yeah, I haven't told her anything just yet.. but I just tried calling her twice already... no answer.. See, this was what I was worried about...
     
  9. TinyHoovesRanch

    TinyHoovesRanch New Member

    Jessica, dont be nice. She knew she needed to send a deposit, and she didnt, she seems kinda flakey. Do the trade, because you know thats going to work. Tell the lady your sorry but you specifically said she needed a deposit!
     
  10. Bebop

    Bebop New Member

    221
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Yeah, thanks guys! I'm going to do the trade.. That's way too flaky... If I did the same thing, I would expect the same result :GAAH:
     
  11. Mully

    Mully New Member

    408
    Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    You are doing the right thing, so do it guilt free!!
     
  12. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...what Mully said!
     
  13. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I hope my advise to ya earlier was unbiased as possible LOL!

    Sure, I'd much prefer to see you trade with my friend, but I do try to give advise without being influenced by personal gain ;) :D
     
  14. mabeane

    mabeane New Member

    76
    Nov 5, 2010
    Talmadge, Maine
    Money talks. It isn't sold unless money has crossed your palm...no matter how interested she seems.
     
  15. Hidden Waters Farm

    Hidden Waters Farm New Member

    444
    Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Even if she did get back to you, She would likely put it off again and you would have missed your trading opportunity.
     
  16. Bebop

    Bebop New Member

    221
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Well I emailed her. I let her know my feelings and how I felt that the communication was choppy and that led me to believe that she was no longer interested. I am still going through with the trade and offered her my other buckling or help finding another one from another farm. I just want to be sure there are no hard feelings though.. I wouldn't want her to buy my other buckling and then I never hear from her again because of this.
    I feel totally in the right now. If she doesn't want the buckling, then I'll be okay with that too.
     
  17. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You are totally in the right to do a differnt sale if no money has changed hands. Now if she said "well I put the deposit in the mail you should get it tomorrow" then that would be a differnt story. But the situation is she is holding off for something else, possibly another doe to kid at another farm or to sell a goat herself or is just plan rude or not seriously interested.

    First come first serve

    Be sure you will offend people in the business of raising goats. But as long as you are as honest as you can be then its their problem and not yours.

    And always do what's best for you, I didn't gorw up that way but I'm learing its the only way to actually function since no will be looking our for your besat interest but you.
     
  18. pelicanacresMN

    pelicanacresMN New Member

    I had a buckling that a local person wanted to buy for sure when he was 7 weeks of age. They were putting the deposit in the mail..a week later--nothing, so I called them & they went through this whole thing about how 1/2 of their mail never gets out, their bill payments don't arrive at their destinations& they have a wacky mailcarrier ect ect. Fine & dandy, I kind of knew this lady that wanted to buy the goat so I didn't really have a problem holding onto him. Then I said I could hold onto the buck & do a linear appraisal on him since I was attending anyhow & I wanted to know how he stacked up too...so she was very excited about it. He did great at the appraisal & I had other breeders there wanting to buy him but I said I was holding him for this other lady. Anyhow..after months of no deposit just her word constantly saying she wanted him but would have the money the next week, I finally put him for sale again & he sold right away.
    For me it wasn't a huge deal to hold onto him, my husband really liked the buck & I was able to use him for a few breedings before he went so it worked out fine in the end. But I am now very firm on my deposit policy. They can take a chance that maybe the goat won't sell until they come but a huge percentage of people are going to send that deposit if they are serious about buying.
     
  19. Bebop

    Bebop New Member

    221
    Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Yeah that's one of the reasons I went ahead and offered the other buckling. I sent her an email already telling her okay I got the service memo, please send me a deposit so I can use a portion of that to (my paypal address). Let me know when you do that. Fast forward to today, I guess she barely got my email, saying she was sorry was busy when I had called and had talked to her but wanted his papers in order before she got him.. Mentioned that she might be getting another buck but I did tell her I would possibly be heading that way anyway, that I would let her know when I got the service memo. So the next day I do that.. Need the deposit so I could :p anyway ^ most of that was from the call...
    So today, she sent me a couple emails saying please don't sell my buck, do you have paypal? That was it.. That's what made it sound weird... I gave her all the information and I still didn't get anything from that... Like she was avoiding it, so if she wants the other buckling, no hard feelings, she can send me a deposit or I'll help her find another buck.
    I don't want to be mean, but I wouldn't want to be that way to someone else. I know that I have expressed interest but then something comes up, they've given me a way to send something, but then the goat ends up being sold, I CANNOT be surprised or mad. That's my own fault!
     
  20. firelight27

    firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Wow, when you said a few days I was thinking 2-3. I personally check my email every day, but know some people check every few days so would generally give a person five or six days to respond. But from the 4th to the 17th is DEFINITELY long enough for her to give you a response. I agree with your decision to do the trade. The woman sounds too indecisive and flaky.