Ol roy dog food

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by needs to know more, Nov 7, 2007.

1. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    I've got a friend in OK that just lost a dog and her neighbors have also lost 2. They where eating ol roy dog food. They also had a cat that had the runs (I can't spell diarhea). That was not there usual dog food, but where using it until they could get the other. I have heard nothing official about any problems. But 3 dogs dead while eating it is enough for me to give out a warning.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    was this dry or wet?

remember the big dog and cat food recal for all that wet food? well Ol Roy was on the list.

3. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    She didn't specify. But considering the size of her dogs, LGD's. I would guess dry. But I will find out for sure.

4. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    Switching dog food is bad anyways. If you switch food you are suppose to do it gradually... Just like with most other animals... Old Roy is bad. I raised labs for several years and my parents before that I/we never fed old Roy. You can read the ingredients and see why... So sorry for your friends loss though it is hard. If I ever run out of dog food I would cook oatmeal and add some kind of raw meat to it... Raw meat isnt a bad thing to keep on hand either for your dogs. If you know a hunter you could have them cut a few pieces off for your animals. I would cut up and store in the freezer and its really good in the summer to throw them a frozen bone to chew on.....

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Im so sorry to hear the dogs died.

We feed Natural balance to the dogs and cats here.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry to hear about the animals that passed away!

Ol Roy was on that list - and I really hope they were not feeding food that was almost a year old!

It sounds like it might have been something else like rat poisoning or antifreeze poisoning. I doubt it was from the food.

But -

Old roy is one of the worst foods you can possibly feed. It is loaded with nothing but fillers and really does not have alot of nutrients. The animals have to eat ALOT of it to get the nutrients that most animals get from a quality food in a third the amount. So to eat it they are not only not getting the appropriate nutrients, but the body does not have enough time to sort through all the fillers to pull it out before the animal poos it out!

I personally feed Iams Lamb and Rice at my home. I feed both a Mastiff and a Rott on it and I go through 60 dollars a month on food - BUT there is very little poo to pick up since most of the food is broke down and digested.

Just remember that alot of the foods, including the premium brands have roadkill animals and also euthanized animals in their bi-products. They say that the solution is boiled out of the food - but there is still some risidual left. I know that it is gross to think of - but it is true. I used to feed my animals raw diet, but it is just not cost effective now with all the other animals here on the ranch.

7. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    Some stuff is cheap but good other stuff well its not worth the little bit of money you pay for it.....

8. debpnigerians

debpnigerians New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    north central Texas
    I believe it's highly illegal to use roadkill or euthanized animals in pet food. Also if they used roadkill there's be a lot less carcasses rotting on the side of theroad. As for euthanized animals, virtually all vets use a cemetary service now. Granted there are idiots who do horrifying things that everyone reads about in the news, but most cemetaries are extremely ethical people. They know from experiance that people may say they don't want a service etc but a month later they're looking for his grav. Anybody know how to do a Snopes test?

9. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vets around here use a service that picks the animals up and cremates them.... Road kill generally stays on the road till eaten by scavengers........ Gross i know but true. Most of the by products are feathers, bones and other stuff ground up into a meal and then processed into dog food. Some are no more then cornmeal with flavoring.. It just depends.

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I've heard bad things about Ol' Roy as well. We feed an all natural dog food to Quincy (GSD) and Flint River another all natural food to Tyson (toy poodle)

11. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    It was dry Ol roy premium. The dog was on a run and was the only one of their dogs that hadn't been switched back to their regular food. They absolutly will not use any poisons, so that was not it. If she ever runs out of dog food again she will take meat out of the freezer for them, and never feed ol roy again.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My vet said he would LOVE to try to get Ol Roy taken off the shelfs. He said the dogs really would be better off eating Cardboard. He said their is more nutritional value in card board then in Ol Roy.
    He is on a mission to get it removed.

13. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    That is an almost exact quote from my vet. She said it is the absolute worst product on the market, bar none.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is not illegal to use euthanized animals and it is in the foods. I have been a vet nurse for 7 years and worked in many other states and countries.

I know we all don't want to think of that - but it is true. We were driving to Seattle a year ago April, and coming over the pass at about 1 in the morning we came on a horrific smell - it was a truck that we were following, that we eventually passed, but it was a purina truck loaded with carcasses of animals! We could see the animal parts and the blood dripping out the back of the tailgate! I thought that I was going to vommit!

Most veterinary clinics due use a cremation service for private creations, but for disposals (people who can not afford private cremation) the Humane Societies usually pick up the carcasses and depending on the facility is what happens next.

15. needs to know more

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Since the mention of Purina came up. I don't like purina feeds and won't feed them to any of my animals. A friend of mines hubby drives truck and was hauling to and from a Purina place. He knew they packaged Ol Roy and asked if there was any difference. Nope same food different package. Because of this deal I am learning a whole lot more about what is in the foods I feed my animals. Checking labels to see where they are made, not just packaged, but made!!

16. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    i've never heard of OL ROY. where is that sold?
    MOST dog foods, if you read the ingredients, are corn and animal by products plus all kinds of chemicals. it's rather surprising there are so many LIVE dogs in the world....

17. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Ol Roy is sold at Walmart and Sam's Club.

this is the exact reason I make my own dogfood.

18. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ahh. i was once given a cat that was so skinny and small for her age, dull coat, etc; she had had regular vet care for shots/worming. i looked at the feed bag that was given to me with her, the ingredients were HORRIBLE, nothing there, really; didn't even look at the brand. the former owner had said it was a walmart brand.
    switched the cat to science diet, which my other cats eat, and within a month or so the new cat began to look like a different animal. she gained wt and grew, got a shiny thick coat, etc. i was probably seeing the results of ol' roy, or an equivalent. i don't think many people realize that they are not really 'saving money' buying this junk.....they have higher vet bills, animals sick or doing poorly, and dying earlier than they should. that is not worth the 'savings' in food. at least in my opinion...

19. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    There are three 'types' of dog food. Grocery, premium and ultra premium.
    Grocery is any animal food you can get at a grocery store, convenience store, walmart, etc. They are not nutritionally sound, and have icky ingredients. Usually the 1st ingedient is corn, then meat and bone meal and them animal fat. Typical foods are Ol Roy, Alley Cat, Whiskas, Beneful, etc.
    Premium food are better ingredient wise, but are still lacking. Usually the first ingredient is Rice meal or Chicken meal, and then animal fat/chicken fat. Common foods are Iams, Eukanuba, ProPlan, etc. Sometimes they are available to normal stores(walmart) and grocery stores.
    Ultra Premium are food that list a "real meat" ingredient, like chicken, lamb, venison, etc first. They also don't use "animal" fat, everything has a species, like "chicken" or "lamb". They are available at pet stores only, for the most part. SOme small "family stores" carry the good stuff.

When I say "animal fat" I mean any animal fat. It can be chicken, roadkill, euthanized animals, lab animals that died/were killed, ANYTHING.
    "Meat and bone meal" is ground up whole animals with the liquids removed. Once again, it could be chicken or euthanized animals. Even diseased ones.
    Animal Digest is also a prime ingredient in grocery foods. Animal digest is ground up and dehydrated(water removed) animal digestive tract, from the esophagus to the anus. Even the poop is included.

Needless to say, my dogs and cats get ultra premium food, from a private ingredient-controlled company.

EDIT- Science Diet isn't all its cracked up to be either, but it is better than others. ProPlan(about half the cost) is a better food.

20. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That is EXACTLY why I use the "Ultra Premium" dog foods. My Pyr was allergic to corn so we switched her to Flint River and she became a TOTALLY different dog. My dogs are a very good example of good health :)