old age in angora goats

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by percypeacock, Nov 6, 2009.

1. percypeacock

percypeacock Guest

Nov 6, 2009
    Hello

We have a pair of angora goats and are wondering if anyone can tell us how old is a good age for them?

We have had saan goats before and they lived till 20 and 16 but we're thinking angoras aren't as sturdy...

Their teeth have just started to come loose...they are 11 now.

Also does anyone have any advice on if they need any special care in their old age? Any extra treats to keep them healthy?

Doreen and Jane.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

The oldest goat I have ever witnesses was two 16 year old wethers so your girls did good at 20 WOW

You can try adding water to their grain to make more of a mash if they are having trouble chewing. A softer hay might also be in order if you arent already feeding such.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hi,

the oldest angora I know of was 19 when she died. She had produced twins until that year. That is phenomenal.

In my experience 10 to 12 is a good age for any goat, angoras included.

If they still have their teeth I would just make sure they have a bit of hay and grain in addition to their pasture, to make sure they are getting enough nutrition. If they suffer in the winter I would rug (put a coat/blanket) on them as well.

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    20...thats amazing! i'm completely shocked, the oldest i've personally known was an alpine that was 14 and still producing over 10lbs and I thought that was great, boy was I wrong!!

5. phydough

phydough New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    A goat can live 20 years?? Holy smoke!

6. Chopsgoats

Chopsgoats Member

I have a Nigerian wether turning 14 next month. I lost his brother in August at thirteen, he list most of his teeth so I had to put his hay through a shredder so he could eat it. He ended up having a heart attack and was gone in minutes. He never suffered and never was sick. My other is starting to lose teeth now.

7. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    We have a cashmere doe turning 17 in the spring.