Old car chicken coop !!

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by PiccoloGoat, Feb 6, 2013.

1. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I just stumbled upon this on the internet

[​IMG]

I think it's amazing xD

2. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Lol...funny, but being a poultry hobbyist...it's not safe for sure!
    But aren't those chickens cute :)

3. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I'm sure the inside isn't so bad

Why is it unsafe D:

4. NyGoatMom

Anything with claws or teeth can rip through chicken wire ;)

5. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Ooohhh! now I see what you're saying haha
    I didn't even think of that, dang. I suppose in a backyard it wouldnt be an issue but out where theres foxes and stuff it doesnt look sturdy.
    How can you keep chicken safe then? >_<

6. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    oh my goodness...is that not cute or what lol..LOVE IT..

7. NyGoatMom

Well, for safety you would use hardware cloth, not chicken wire and be sure there is no access into the coop....even an inch sized hole is enough for a predator to get into and kill your whole flock.
    On the other hand, that car has plenty of ventilation! ;)

If your backyard is accessible to dogs, it is not safe...or coons, rats, etc. EVERYTHING eats chicken

8. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Ohh! Yeah I think my bird aviary has something like that. We're planning on keeping them in their so that's a bonus. Thanks for the information! I'm just a bit shocked I though chicken wire was the way to go with stuff like that

9. NyGoatMom

Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in...not keeping anything out. Also, they need a place to get out of the weather....

10. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I saw it to when we were planning our coop...I wanted to repurpose something as well, but the closest I got was repurposing our old water skis

image-2072662106.jpg

11. NyGoatMom

Lol...that is one loud and proud coop! Sweet! :cool:

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    our first coop ( and first ever chickens) my daughter and I were the giggle of every old farmer...we used an area with a awning that was for cows....we chicken wired it, then added 2x4 wire for strength...then we added tin 1/3 way down then we concreted the fence and tin to the ground..lol....when we were done with fort knox we figured if anything got in they earned the right to the chickens.: ) but we didn;t loose one ...as a matter of fact this last summer most those chickens began to pass away from old age...last year Hubby built me a real coop....here are a couple of pix..the front windows close up if needed..most our girls free range but they like to have a safe place to go at night [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. NyGoatMom

Really nice....that's a big ccop...what are the dimensions?

14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Not sure the size lol...Ill have to ask hubby...but its big lol..he also added see through sheeting on the roof to let sunshine in : ) he did a good job...the second picture show one half of the inside...the other side looks the same lol...Now I just need to paint it so it will last longer..

15. NyGoatMom

16. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    I want a chicken coop like that but change the chicken wire to something stronger. Gives me so many ideas. Now I just need an old car...... and chickens. I bet if you cut out the panel blocking the cab from the engine and keep the hood on that could be your nesting boxes with a lid.

This person made one out of a 1966 Porsche.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  17. NyGoatMom

lol....too funny!

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    dunno, I've had chickens in chicken mesh all my life. Only lost them to foxes when they managed to dig in or they came during the day when the chooks were free ranging.

19. NyGoatMom

Wow, you have been lucky....it may depend on where you live. I know around here, we have some pretty smart critters that are pretty determined.We have weasels,coons,mink,martins,eagles,hawks,skunk,fox,coyote,bear,not to mention neighborhood dogs and such....all of these love chicken!

I have a neighbor up the road that lost her entire flock one night to a black bear that ripped her coop door off.

I have a lot of customers simply because they keep using chicken wire....

20. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, if you use livestock guardian dogs...doesn't matter what you use to hold the chickens in, the dogs will make sure they stay safe. :) Love our guardians. Neat idea for an old car. Really love the Fort Knox coop too! :)