Old Dairy Goat Journals/ Magazines :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by LiddleGoteGurl, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I just won an auction on ComeToTheFarm.com of 5 old Nubian issues of Dairy Goat Journal from the late 1980s, early '90s, and a 4 International Nubian Breeder's Association Newsletters from around the same time. I am really excited because there is an article in one of them about one of my favorite breeders (Kastdemur's) and tons of stuff about all kinds of wonderful Nubian herds and info about some really great goats. There is so much good "old" stuff packed in these and I can't wait to get my hands on them :). So, have any of you been subscribed to DGJ for a long time? Did you save any of your oldies? Just wondering if you all enjoy going back through them still :).

Anyways, lol I feel kind of stupid being so excited about this, but hey.. when you are a fanatic, you can do stuff like that right?? LOL :drool:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    LOL A friend gave me some old issues of DGJ, they are pretty interesting :D Don't have anything that old though :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nope nothing that old but I do have some from when I got a subcription as a christmas gift

4. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I started raising goats in 1998 and didn't find out about DGJ until 2002. I've been a subscriber ever since and save all issues as reference material. It's nice to be able to go back and look up information when I need it.

5. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    That's cool Pam :). I just got my first subscription for my birthday this year and I am loving it! I am definitely going to be subscribed for a LONG time....

Still haven't gotten my magazines :(. But I am hoping that they arrive soon.. before I go nuts with anticipation :hair: .. LOL :ROFL:

6. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    That's pretty cool, I won the Nigerian info the woman had and just cannot wait to receive it; saleslists, pedigrees, and pictures from the '80s and '90s!! I totally understand your excitement.

7. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    That is so cool! She sure has a lot of old, awesome stuff up there.

8. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I would be really interested to see how health care and medicine has changed for goats over all those years.

9. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    I have DGJ's from 1986 to 1992 with almost every monthly issue. I got them from someone who used to raise dairy goats and he was going to donate them to the library till the 4-H leader(also in goats) asked him if the club could have it. It is very interesting looking back through the DGJ's. I have only had goats since the fall of 2002 then didnt really get my herd started till 06. But when I look through there i read the articles and most of them are very interesting. I also find the reletives of the lamancha semen that I have. I guess I just love looking at the history of the goats which I also noticed that some of the lamanchas in them look like mine.

10. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I've got my Nigie stuff from the same lady- it's a wealth of information (GayMor and Stonewall hered brochures from the '90s!)