The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, our nine year old Toggenburg got sick, stopped eating, and couldn't stand. We called the vet, and he came out and told us she had a severe thiamine deficiency and gave us some medicine for her. To make a long story short, we've nursed her back to what seems like health but she still can't stand. Her appetite and bowel movements are normal and she's alert to her surroundings, but her front legs aren't strong enough to support her anymore and all she can do is crawl around on her knees.

Does anyone have any ideas to help get her back on her feet?

·
Registered
165 Posts
i would put a band around her and walk her daily. We went through this with our buck and the vet told us to just let him lie there he will get up when ready. It went downhill from there and he never made it up again. When we were holding him and walking him daily before the vet he was getting stronger and better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nine is not that old. Did the vet state why she had the deficiency? I agree, you need to get her walking as I don't see this improving on its own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll get her into a sling and start walking her.

The vet thought the thiamine deficiency was because of her kids-- they were enormous twins, and he said they were probably taking more nutrients out of her than she had to give. They turned two months old the week she got sick, so we weaned them off and haven't had any problems with them or getting the doe to dry off.

·
Registered
29,991 Posts
I would have a fecal done, include Cocci...also check her for anemia, you want to see deep pink to red lower inner eye lids...
Thiamine def. causes polio....and is corrected quickly with thiamine shots....something else is going on...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She kidded a little over two months ago. Her kids were ready to be weaned when she got sick, so we separated them and there hasn't seemed to be a problem drying her off. The kids haven't gotten sick either... the vet said the thiamine deficiency might have been from them taking too many nutrients from her while they were nursing

Also we did thiamine shots when she got sick, and she seems to be pretty well back to normal as far as that's concerned

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Cameronb, that doesn't get rid of all worms unfortunately. agirlwithgoats, do you live in an area with white tailed deer?

·
Registered
29,991 Posts
Although MW usually begins weakening the back legs...if you do have White tail deer in your area..I would begin to treat for Meningeal Worm ( deer worm) ASAP...with MW the fast you begin treatment the better chance of full recovery....I would still do a fecal and check for anemia...

http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_126.shtml

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I live on an island, and there have never been any deer here. That eliminates meningeal worm right? or is there somewhere else they can get it?

Her back legs are fine, and today she was crawling around on her back legs and front knees but she can't seem to hold herself up on her front hooves.

·
Registered
29,991 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sling use

this will help all of us, but with the sling,how long should she be up in it daily? Just hanging all day or just couple hours?

·
Registered
29,991 Posts
A few hours at a time with supervision... however each case is different..some may need shorter periods...be sure to massage legs well and work them...help build muscle back up...

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
A few hours at a time with supervision... however each case is different..some may need shorter periods...be sure to massage legs well and work them...help build muscle back up...
I agree, also gently move the legs in normal ways, if she resists, back off at that point, do it slowly, this help circulation as well and gets blood flowing to her muscles. Massage is really good.

I would make the sling to where she can touch the ground with her legs slightly bent, so if she wants to use her legs, she can stand on her own and yet be supported by the sling.

Have plenty of cushion in it so she is not getting cut into.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts