The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,. I have a 16 year old wether who has lost all his teeth and is blind from cataracts. I feed him Meat Goat Gro and Finish goat pellets along with Calf Manna pellets and Goat Balancer pellets. In addition he gets soaked Timothy/alfalfa cubes and soaked shredded beet pulp.
He is very thin. Recently he has decided not to eat any of the pellets. He will eat the soaked cubes and beet pulp but not that much of it. It appears that after he initially eats it and there's some left over he is reluctant to go back and eat the left overs. He eats it when its fresh. I'm worried about him. Is there anything I can give him to increase his appetite or entice him to eat his pellets? I just had the vet here. She looked at the color of the membrane around his eyes and it was white instead if pink. She said he was anemic so she wormed him. I asked the vet about giving him some olive oil she said it would cause diarrhea. I asked about a probiotic she said no. I asked about vitamins she said no. I notice some of you give your goats Probios. Isn't that for horses? He has very flaky skin.
Just last week I lost his brother, another 16 year old wether. I have a post under
Rainbow Bridge. I wonder if my goat is missing his brother. I would appreciate any ideas. I would hate to lose him now.
Thank you,
Spice14

·
8,118 Posts
Probiotics are good. Red cell will help with the iron and the anemia. I don't know why she said no to probiotics. Tractor supply sells it in a tube and it comes out like tooth gel. 5 or 10 cc every day for a few days wont hurt.

He may be missing his old friend. There is a nutritional supplement called DYNE, that helps with weight. It smells like vanilla! (Don't give to cats).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probiotics are good. Red cell will help with the iron and the anemia. I don't know why she said no to probiotics. Tractor supply sells it in a tube and it comes out like tooth gel. 5 or 10 cc every day for a few days wont hurt.

He may be missing his old friend. There is a nutritional supplement called DYNE, that helps with weight. It smells like vanilla! (Don't give to cats).
Thank you for your help. Can I use Probios for my goat. I've only seen Probios for horses. Can the goat have that one? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know what the veterinarian used to deworm him?
Hi, yes she wormed him with a shot of Ivermectin and then gave me some liquid Safe-Guard to follow up with, 4 ML's orally once daily for 5 days then repeat the doses again in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

What is Red cell?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How much Dyne would he get?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Is a prescription needed with Red Cell? I've seen they have it for horses. How much would a goat get?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thank you for your help. Can I use Probios for my goat. I've only seen Probios for horses. Can the goat have that one? Thanks so much.
Yes, you can give him Probios, I give it when any of my goats are sick, it seems to help a lot. We also use it for our cows when need be.

If you get the powdered kind (that is what I use, I mix it with water and then drench them with it - it's also cheaper than the gel already in the tube), I'd give him one scoop daily for a week and then maybe once a week? When my goats aren't doing well I give it daily until they're better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, you can give him Probios, I give it when any of my goats are sick, it seems to help a lot. We also use it for our cows when need be.

If you get the powdered kind (that is what I use, I mix it with water and then drench them with it - it's also cheaper than the gel already in the tube), I'd give him one scoop daily for a week and then maybe once a week? When my goats aren't doing well I give it daily until they're better.
Thank you goat scout. If I can't find the powdered Probios do you know how much of the gel he should get? I've never
seen the powder but I'll check.
I just tried getting him to eat his soaked cubes with a little molasses on top. Wouldnt eat it. He's so thin.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thank you goat scout. If I can't find the powdered Probios do you know how much of the gel he should get? I've never
seen the powder but I'll check.
I just tried getting him to eat his soaked cubes with a little molasses on top. Wouldnt eat it. He's so thin.
My goats are very, VERY picky so any medicine or supplement (besides loose minerals) has to be drenched orally.

TSC usually has both the Probios powder and the gel... I think I gave about 5g of the gel each day, but my most of my goats are standard sized so maybe give him 3g?
Although, I often (accidentally) dose my minis the same as my standards, just because I forget, LOL.

Also - for the powdered Probios, it is labeled for cattle, horses, sheep, goats, etc., whereas the gel is usually labeled for just horses. So using powder may help ease your mind a bit.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/probios-dispersible-powder-240gm?cm_vc=-10005

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Last year, when one of my does was down with Barber Pole worms, she was incredibly thin and for about a week (when the worms were at their worst) wouldn't eat anything.

We would soak a little bit of the normal goat feed pellets (or whatever you're feeding him should work) in water and drench her with it 3-4+ times a day (you can cut of the end of a syringe if the feed-mush-concotion won't fit through). She got at least daily red cell, probios and JumpStart plus - all of which you can get at TSC. And our vet also gave us fortified B complex, we gave her a shot of that everyday.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I'd say he's definitely missing his brother. Depression causes goats to go off-feed and also opens the door to a host of other things going wrong with their health. Because of his age and his current unhappiness, I would be careful of overdoing wormers, medications, or force-feeding right now and I would concentrate mostly on making him happy. Are there treats that he especially likes that you could tempt him with? Sit with him a lot and grieve with him. If he were mine I'd spoil, pamper, and hand-feed him as much junk food as he wants. If he'll only pick at his food, can you try feeding him only small amounts throughout the day? If you can improve his outlook on life, you have a lot better chance of helping him keep his health a little longer. Best of luck to you. I hope he chirks up soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi again all, thank you all so much for the suggestions. Here's the latest.

I found the Probios at TSC and gave him a dose. I got the powder for multiple types of animals.
They did not have Dyne.
They had the Red Cell but I need to ask a question about that. It says on the bottle not to over do it with Selenium. How much is ok? Would I add up how much Selenium is in everything I give him? How much is too much? I'd be afraid I would over dose him on the selenium. I'm not sure how much he weighs. I'm guessing at least 75 to 100 lbs.

I gave him some soaked beet pulp, just a little handful to see if he would eat it. He ate it with gusto. Then I gave him some more in a bowl and he ate a little but didn't finish it. I decided to see if I could temp him with chopped up apples. He had no interest in that. Then I tried finely chopped carrots just a handful to see if he would eat it. He ate it with gusto. So finally I put a small amount of soaked beet pulp in a bowl and chopped up more carrots and put some on the beet pulp and some in a pile on it's own. When I left he was picking at it. I couldn't watch. I'll check him later to see if it's gone. It's very frustrating. He does seem to be drinking water I've seen him pee.

I touched base with the vet today. She said sometimes they react this way with vaccinations.
He had rabies, CDT and a shot of ivermectin. She also said the Safe-Guard wormer might be upsetting his stomach. She said to stop the wormer for now and offer him treats.

If someone could please let me know about the selenium problem in the Red Cell so I understand it then I will give him some of that too.

Again, thank you all so much!
Spice14

PS I've just ordered Dyne from Jeffers.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Ah, yes the vaccinations will definitely put him under the weather. I stopped vaccinating my old wether because it started to be hard on him. He would get sore all over, go off feed for a few days, and just generally be "bleh". He had been vaccinated every 2-3 years throughout his life, so he was probably already quite protected and didn't actually need those vaccinations anyway. Now that he's had them, probiotics are definitely in order.

Vitamin B complex is also very good for protecting his rumen, but be careful. Those shots hurt a lot, especially on an old fella without much flesh on his bones. Vitamin B paste is not as effective but is physically easier on him and he may like the flavor. Do what you can do to help him without causing undue stress from painful injections, nasty-tasting drenches, etc. I'm glad he's eating a little. Keep up with those tasty, inviting treats that he loves.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, yes the vaccinations will definitely put him under the weather. I stopped vaccinating my old wether because it started to be hard on him. He would get sore all over, go off feed for a few days, and just generally be "bleh". He had been vaccinated every 2-3 years throughout his life, so he was probably already quite protected and didn't actually need those vaccinations anyway. Now that he's had them, probiotics are definitely in order.

Vitamin B complex is also very good for protecting his rumen, but be careful. Those shots hurt a lot, especially on an old fella without much flesh on his bones. Vitamin B paste is not as effective but is physically easier on him and he may like the flavor. Do what you can do to help him without causing undue stress from painful injections, nasty-tasting drenches, etc. I'm glad he's eating a little. Keep up with those tasty, inviting treats that he loves.
Damfino,. Would I have to get the vitamin B paste from the vet?
Also what about the Red Cell and selenium. I'd like to start giving it to him but not sure if I would be overdosing him
on the selenium. I'm not clear on the instructions on the bottle.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Vitamin B paste is over the counter. Some feed stores may carry it. I order mine from Jeffers.

I've never used Red Cell, and I have to be very cautious about supplementing selenium because we have so much in the soil here. So I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I just think you need to be careful about sticking the old fella with too many needles right now. If he gets sore and unhappy from too many shots and drenches it may set him back more than it helps. Hopefully I'm not steering you wrong, but I think there's a good chance he needs comfort and companionship more than medicine as he grieves the loss of his buddy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts