Old goat not eating

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Anne2, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Anne2

Anne2 Active Member

Dec 22, 2012
    I haven’t posted in awhile, but I’ve been on viewing posts. So I’m back with another question. Not sure if anyone remembers but a year and a half ago my saneen Abby had Listeriosis. Like another person on here I was told by the vet that it was moldy hay or grain and that I didn’t believe was possible as I’m very careful with them. Anyway we made it threw that. She is old her lower jaw protrudes this year and at first I thought it was from everything we went threw but I think it’s just old age. Now she seems to have stopped eating this week. She has been wormed she was on Fur meadows but I found she wasn’t eating it like the other so I wormed with ivermectin. I’m thinking she can’t chew as well anymore and my question is instead of grain should I go to whole oats. She’s eating her hay which is pure Timothy. We moved last year and hay is a problem so I buy them a compressed bale for 11 dollars and it’s all Timothy. They won’t eat local hay. So I’m not sure if she’s eating so much hay she doesn’t want her grain but the other one does, or if it’s she can’t chew as well. If I switch to whole oats how much would you give?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would have her teeth checked.

3. Anne2

Anne2 Active Member

Dec 22, 2012
    I’ll do that this week in the meantime what would you feed her. I moved to a very remote part of NC and I have trouble getting vets. I was able to get one to come out last year but only in an emergency. I had to plead with them one flat out turned me down. Would you change to oats anyway for the other one too.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You will probably need to do slurries or soaking alfalfa pellets. Beet pulp could be added to soak too. Also try cutting up the hay in very short pieces. Have you checked in her mouth for a stuck stick or anything? Will need to check deep in her mouth.

Sfgwife, MadHouse, Goats Rock and 4 others like this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Can you post a picture to show what you mean about her jaw? How old is she?
    I would give her b complex asap..just in case something else is going on. Get her temp and check her famacha for anemia.

Slurries are good ways to get calories in her..can do as mentioned above or make a smooth of dark greens such as kale and romain lettuce..add a carrot and celery..yogurt, garlic glove and probiotics.in electrolytes and blend until smooth..of she won't slurp it up..drench her slowly.

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Anne2 like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good questions and suggestions.

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Anne2 like this.
  7. Anne2

Anne2 Active Member

Dec 22, 2012
    I’m not exactly sure but close in age is 12years could be a bit older as she was a rescue. I’ve had her the 11years. The first sign was she stopped eating but had no temp whatsoever all this week. I have been doing B vitamin and also gave her a vitamin c tablet(human) every night. Her manure was a bit clumpy so I wormed her again and gave her a 5mg of replacing two nights ago and a copper bollus in a banana. She is eating what she likes like corn nachos but just not any grain. I’ve caught her eating hay but nothing today so far. Her tail has been tucked but yesterday it was up and she looked happy. When I take her out for forage in the woods she hasn’t really been interested just picked. That’s about the only signs oh and she sleeps a lot. But that could be age and the fact we had nice weather. One morning she was cold she is indoors and we had a frost but the barn read 58 so I put a blanket on her and she seemed to perk up. Took it off mid morning as it was 68

Attached Files:

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’d do a fecal for parasites. What’s her FAMACHA?

I’d wet grain with warm water and alfalfa pellets and beet pulp into a mash.

MadHouse and Goats Rock like this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like she is in great hands. She has such a sweet face. Her teeth do stick out there. I would move her jaw around a bit ans see if there is pain reaction. Check her mouth for bad teeth that may cause her to hold her jaw funky and refuse to eat much..Another thing I noticed is her coat..some nibble marks which may indicate she has lice. Common this time of year.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree check her teeth.
    She may have one digging into her gums or have a tooth abscess.

If her temp has been normal or a bit sub. She may have a off rumen.
    Give her fortified vit b complex SQ, 6 cc’s per 100 lbs and probiotics 2 x a day for 3 days or longer.

Check her left side for rumen sounds and movement.

happybleats and MadHouse like this.
  11. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    It seems she may have something going on that’s not just difficult eating. Does she squeak when she chews or have little wads of chewed feed drop from her mouth?

If her rumen is off I’ve had great luck with a flat dark beer. They usually like it too and she may drink it on her own.

Teeth can be really hard check without a speculum and a good handler plus an idea of what to look for.

You can also get hay pellets and soak them. Along with a senior horse feed that actually covers the basics of old goat nutrition fairly well.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. alicejane

alicejane Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    I thought her jaw looks swollen? Seems like lock jaw type look?
    I look up the prior illness and these are still some signs Of that? I looked at the tennesee goat write up. Questions thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is the goat doing today?

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.