Old goat struggling to get up : (

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by elaine, Feb 22, 2010.

1. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone,

i need help and advice about an 16 year old goat i have. hes very stiff and for the last few days hes been struggling to use his back end to get up.

i had the vet to him last friday as a his back end was really wobbly and a few times he fell over, the vet gave him a long acting painkiller to see him over the weekend and didnt really have any idea what was wrong with him apart from age and arthritus, hes also been shivering a lot of the time too, hes had a rug on all winter but put another one on him but he was still shivering even though inside with the top doors shut.

i started to suspect white muscle disease as to me he was showing all the symptoms, by saturday he wasnt falling over but he was getting down on his knees and was having difficulting getting his backend down on the floor as though his back legs were really stiff, so i rang the vet and told him i thought it might be a selenium deficiency so he gave me 2ml of vitesel to give him which i did on saturday afternoon.

since the injection hes not as wobbly when hes up, and he can get down ok to lie down and hes rarely shivering, only thing is now that hes having problems actually getting up and im having to help him, hes eating plenty though and when hes up he potters around just fine.

i can check him regularly through the day and i make him get up so hes not down too long but at night it worries me leaving him for so long especially as this afternoon i went out for an hour and when i came back he had been struggling to get up and got himself wedged in the corner of the stable and was stuck.

the stable he was in was really large and he was on deep litter bed on top of rubber matting but half of the stable was concrete so i was worried he would end up on the concrete through the night and not be able to get up, so i moved him and his friend into a smaller stable with full rubber matting and banked bedding up round the edges and covered the whole floor.

im wondering if bute would help him and if so what is the dosage for a goat or grateful for any other suggestions about whats wrong with him, i have owned him 15 years and only have the one other pet goat so have no knowledge of what happens when goats get older, do they go off their feet sometimes like old horses do and like them does this mean their end has come? :(

heres a picture of him
    http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv11 ... 006760.jpg

thanks in advance for any help x

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Elaine.

Bless you for giving him such a wonderful long life with you!

He looks to be a Saanen to me, and quite a big boy too...at 16 years old, this is more likely his age causing his problems. Keeping the blanket on him is good, try giving him some warm oatmeal to help heat his belly, probiotic paste as well as some nutri drench may help too.

I'm not sure of the Bute, I've not ever used anything more than penicillan or B complex on my own.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bute isn't really good for goats. You can give banamine injectable or paste short term. I'd probably try giving him some B-complex.

Do you know what the concentration of selenium was in that shot? He might need a bit more, but it does sound like he is getting up there in years. Looks good for his age though!

4. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi Liz and thank you, will try what you have suggested.

I suspect its his age too but dont want to give up on the old man so willing to try anything to get him right, these long winter months dont help as they arent as mobile with staying in a keeping warm so are bound to stiffen up i suppose. He more than a goat to me hes like a little person, cant imagine not having him around but would want to see him suffering either.

Thanks RunAround, i didnt know bute wasnt good for goats so pleased you have said, will look at other pain killer / anti inflammatory treatments now instead, read about asprin?
    No idea the concentration of selenium in the shot but vet thought it was a good dosage giving him 2ml of it.
    Glad you think he looks good for his age.

Many thanks both, much appreciate your help x

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Goats can have up too 100 mg/kg of aspirin - therefore a 20 lbs goat (roughly 10 kg) can have 1000 mgs of aspirin That is about 3 regular strength Aspirin NOT baby aspirin.

I know, it's a LOT of aspirin LOL :)

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi Elaine and welcome -- your boy certainly does look good for his age! I agree with Runaround about the Vit b. -- you'll have to search the site for dosage and info -- but good luck!

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Elaine,
    I would try him on Arnica..it is a natural remedy that is given for soreness, I use it for my self and animals. I used it alot on my old doe..it really helps, and isn't hard on the liver or kidneys. You can get it at some grocery stores, ones with a natural food section. I hope that helps!!
    BTW, he is very handsome!!

8. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys i really appreciate all your help xxx

Hes a very large goat so the amount of asprin he would need would be a lot!

Will see about the vit B and the arnica, i have an arnica spray somewhere i think its homeopathic i think will read up on that and see, think you spray so much into mouth at regular intervals.

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    You may want to work him over using T Touch as well. It really helps putting mind and body back together. When the animal is in pain, it can be 'out of his mind' meaning not connected to himself. So using T Touch, you can reconnect the mind and body, and relax the both, helping the animal heal, or atleast feel better. I know you tube has T Touch techniques on it, it's real easy to do..

10. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Victoria, had a look at the T Touch and just been out to try it :) he didnt seem impressed but some parts he was ok with though, mind you he can fair leg it round the stable when he wants to, i was laughing and thinking maybe hes connected his mind to his rear end now ha, he even started butting poor barney! Twice today i thought i wasnt going to be able to get him up on his feet so was preparing myself for ringing the vet, he such a weight which doesnt help, its so difficult as hes different again when up, will just have to take each day as it comes with him and keep trying everyones suggestions.

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hope he's doing okay. Sounds like his attitude is still intact!

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    about the bute, charlotte was on that for a while, while it worked for her it was really really good, but then all of a sudden it stopped working

I found flunixil the best anti inflammatory for her

13. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

just a quick update on Clive, hes still with us :clap:

hes not been managing to get up without me helping him for the past couple of weeks (i go out every couple of hours to do this) but the last two days he seems to take less help to get up and i think earlier he had managed on his own as he wasnt in the same place i had left him :)
    hes still fine when hes up this is the reason i have kept him going and hes eating well, im wondering if hes injured himself and its just taking time to heal as when hes walking one of his back legs swings out in a circular movement. hope its something like that and that he will get back to his old self eventually.

14. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Wonderful to hear and continued healing vibes sent his way! Gentle :hug: sent to Clive too.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have no idea how I missed this,

First of all welcome. So glad you are here.

I lost my Liz at 15 years old, so I know how you feel. She had cancer

I use to give her asprin daily, and yogurt and then I was giving her banamein every day but I decided that I was not going to stick her daily for the remaining time she had, so i switched to Arnica Arthritis, it seemed to really help.

With Liz, I new she was not doing well, I ewent and sat with her in the barn, loved on her and asked her if she was ready to go. I told her to go outside and enjoy the beautiful sun and watch the others in the pasture, she did, she got up a few minutes later, went outside laid down next to a building where she could see the others but she was out of the hot sun. I asked her if she was ok, and she kind of looked at me like YES THANK YOU, and she laid her head down and died. I so love her and I do dearly miss her but I new she lived a long life and was so dearly loved.

SO what I am getting at, is when you know he is ready to go, let him know he can go, I swear Liz was waiting for me to tell her it was ok and that I loved her. (wow I still tear up thinking about her and it has been 2-1/2 years)

16. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi there,

thanks so much for sharing that with me, that was so sad (i had a good cry reading that i can tell you) but im glad she went the way she did, im hoping the same will happen with Clive as i dont want to make the decision but dont want him suffering either, like you i dont want to be forcing him to be taking medication upsetting him.
    Its so difficult because he does seem happy enough when he gets up and yesterday he did wander out in the sun to have a little pick at the grass, but theres no way he can get to his feet on his own, i was praying he would get better but to be honest i dont think hes going to, i keep thinking if he just makes it until the warmer weather maybe his old bones wont ache so much and he will be able to get up himself but deep down i think i know thats not going to happen.
    Will try what you said when i feel the time is right and thanks so much for your support, will keep you posted xxx

17. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Sadly Clive had to be put to sleep on Sunday, he couldnt get to his feet even with my help, he went peacefully after his last apple and his favourite biscuits.
    Im heartbroken as he was very special but at least now he is now pain free.
    This left Barney on his own and even though i put him in with the sheep and alpacas i could see he wasnt happy so managed to find him a new friend yesterday, hes a toggenburg x anglo nubian wether just a year old, we have called him Timmy, although Barney was a bit shocked at Timmys arrival last night they seem to be best of friends today.
    Heres Timmy
    [​IMG]

18. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I am so sorry for your loss. These silly goats have a way of worming into our hearts and staying there. I am glad you have a new friend for your self and Barney. Its so nice to read of a wether who has lived to see old age in a happy home.