Old Lady Goat

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by D Norris, Jan 21, 2008.

1. D Norris

D Norris Guest

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi there. I'm new to the site and not super goat-experienced. I've had them for years but only a couple at a time and it's hard to learn a lot from such a small goat population! I currently have one old lady goat (Oberhasli) that I've had for ten years. She's always been pretty healthy, but this year she is exceptionally thin and it's tough for me to get her to drink any water. I give her water with molasses but the vet told me not to that for too long. She'll drink water with just plain white sugar, but I'm concerned I'll upset something in her rumen. Any suggestions or comments? Note: My outside animals are pets
    only ... I have a couple of horses that keep her company and decided not to replace her Nubian mate when he died last year because she didn't seem lonely (truth is, she really didn't like him very much!).

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    10 years is a long time for a goat , some breeds can live longer depending on size. When was she wormed last? Check her eyelids for paleness and if they are white and not pink or red then I would suggest worming her. The same wormer you use for your horse can be used on your goat, ivermectin or safeguard.
    Try a salt block or even salted pretzels to get her to drink, mine prefer warm water when its cold outside. A feed higher in protein will help in putting on weight, something with 18 - 22%. Even the brand used for a mare in foal may help.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I would try warm water since it is cold out, my goats suck down warm water like there's not tommorrow when its cold like this.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try the warm water like suggested - even flavor it with some drink mix to entice her if just the warm water doesn't do it.

She maybe lonely due to lack of goat connection even if she didnt' like him that much he was still a goat.

10 is getting up there in years though.

Do check her eye lids and if they are pale to light pink you need to worm her. Bright pink means she is fine.

Welcome - glad you joinded us

5. D Norris

D Norris Guest

Jan 21, 2008
    Thanks all. Unfortunately, she died tonight. She was fine last night but this morning just didn't feel well. Took her to the vet this afternoon and he speculated that she might have had a tumor (or something) that was putting pressure on some nerve (can't remember name of it). She hadn't eliminated today and was very uncomfortable. I've done the warm molasses water thing with her previously and today she wouldn't have anything to do with it. Anyway, the doctor gave her some banamine to make her comfortable and another medicine to initiate peristolsis but unfortunately it didn't work and I had to bring her back to him tonight to be euthanized. She was my friend and I'll miss her. Thank you again for your input. Seems like a real nice site.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry you lost her, I'm sure she was thankful to you for ending her pain. Our friends seem to know when it's time to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Her buddy was waiting for her. :hug:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry you lost her :( :hug: