The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old babysitter turned 10 this year. She last kidded in june and has long weaned her doeling. I noticed she didnt bounce back as fast as i thought she would. but i never had her have kids before as she stayed open a long time when i bought her and kind of lucky she got pregnant the last time she was with the buck. She looks okay. still eating.
I noticed when cleaning their pen a few nights ago after work that she had a slight bump on her jaw area.felt it and seemed to be bone or tooth. i also noticed when she would chew her cud she would make a squeaky sound then quit. i decided to put her on grain so she wouldnt loose anymore condition. i was able to contact a good goat farm about two hours or so away asking what vet they use. I called that vet and was able to get an appointment a month from now. so, anything i can do or just continue to increase the grain slowly? am i right to assume her teeth are an issue or she is missing teeth? i dont think i can look in her mouth.her front teeth look to be expected for her age. she is the first older goat i have had.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Periodically check her temperature, a rise could mean an abscess and/or infection is beginning. Maybe give her hay that has the least amount of stem, or if she likes it, the bits and pieces of hay that accumulate as the bale is torn apart. Possibly wetting the grain to make it more softer and easier to chew. Find some pine or cypress and offer her the fleshy stems broken off the branches. Pumpkin is high in natural fiber, is soft to eat, she might like a little bit of that offered in a feeding dish. Goats tend to require the roughage found in plant foods and seems like feeding only grain might not meet the total dietary needs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi, she is doing okay. i did get alfalfa pellets so now she gets the purina goat chow and alfalfa pellets and as long as i stand there she starting to eat more. i also learned she would let the little doeling eat as i was letting both out. so now its just her.i will try mash but i doubt she would eat it since they dont like anything wet. i am going to the feed store end of next week so can pick up some dyne. my horse gets rice bran would that be good for her?
i did figure out all my goats have lice. ahh never had it before. treated with a spray(no one liked me the rest of the day) but will get seven dust and dust everyone within the 10days.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i already have a problem with mold so chafhay wont work.either would pure alfalfa as it seems to mold faster. ended up having someone deliver 21 bales eeach time and havent had mold on the bales anymore but if i get any hay on the floor it molds within a day :( hoping it will dry out soon as we got gutters on the barn a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Can you post some pics of her?

Try a warm mash of 2 parts alfalfa pellets 1 part beet pulp. What I do for our old goatie is put 2 cups alfalfa pellets and 1 cup beet pulp pellets in a bucket and stir. Then cover with water. It usually takes a few hours to turn to mush but the standlee alfalfa pellets take like 30 minutes. If you want a warm mush then use hot water and right before you give it to her add a tiny bit of hot water to make it warm. You want it like mush but not like soup.

To get her to eat it try putting some grain on top or any treat she loves. It sometimes takes a while for them to get used to a new food. We use purina miniature horse and pony grain.

Green leaves and pine branches are also good to give her.

This page might also help: https://www.firmeadowllc.com/blog/feeding-elderly-senior-goats

·
Registered
815 Posts
My vet's office recommended Ultra Boss for mites and it worked great. No withdrawl and approved for dairy. Didn't bother the girls I used it on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, the vet said she has a few missing teeth, tried to get rid of some of the sharp edges said if she doesnt start eating better then he will have to put her out to check out all her teeth which im not sure is a good idea due to her age and given that goats dont do well. i changed to purina senior and the alfalfa pellets. she is still upset from being away from everyone and isnt happy with me. but that senior feed smells so yummy.
kids are being born and she is getting side -tracted from eating to stand by the fence line where they are. but i am offering the mixture to her twice a day and usually one time she eats quite a bit the next time she isnt too interested.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update. my lovely gal is doing great!
2 cups of equine purina senior
2 cups of alfalfa pellets a day and her backbone is no longer prominent, she also has her saggy saddle bag coming back. so this must be helping and rasping a few teeth might of helped her eat more hay. SHe hasnt ground her teeth since the few days after the vet visit and she seems more relaxed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is there something that kills mites and lice? i always gets mites but first time with the lice so expecting to get mites in the next few months.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks like the ivermectrin is alot cheaper but does it work better? .90 cents an ounce vs 1.41 cents an ounce. and the pour on is okay for their sensitive skin? thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
looks like the ivermectrin is alot cheaper but does it work better? .90 cents an ounce vs 1.41 cents an ounce. and the pour on is okay for their sensitive skin? thanks
We have used both. I'm not sure which works better, both seem to be about the same. Maybe others have input.
It does not hurt their skin.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We’ve always used Ivermectin pour-on for ticks and it has worked great! We haven’t had any issues with mites or lice on our farm. Not sure if that’s due to the Ivermectin pour-on, or if we just don’t have them. :) Glad your doe is doing better! She is pretty!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts