The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nubian doe is turning 15 in July, but I still want to help however I can. She was completely fine until a couple months ago. She started losing weight around February and I treated extensively for worms in March. We found she had a long, broken molar on the top right so she was set for surgery beginning of April, but she began to lose interest in food and stayed inside the shed. I found she was not lying down so I built a sling for her so she can sleep comfortably under supervision. I found lumps all over her udder along the abdomen. We treated with ToDay for mastitis for 3 days every 12 hours half a tube in each teat and Tomorrow for 3 days every twelve hours half a tube in each teat and another day with a full tube in the left teat which was the worst side (that was all I could get my hands on). Her appetite improved, her behavior improved, the lumps improved dramatically, but she is still not lying down and the lumps are not gone. I haven’t milked out since the last treatment a week ago (she isn’t in production but has a spring udder). Her milk vein is swollen and she likes to rub it on things. I am feeding her as much alfalfa, beat pulp, and grass pellet mush as she can eat with senior horse feed and COB mixed in to try to help her gain weight and make up for the cud she is losing from the broken tooth. Her breath smells sour and bad, especially in the morning. This morning she had diarrhea, but she’s typically had pellets through this. The vet prescribed a daily pain pill/fever reducer meloxicam. I’m worried I’m giving her too much grain, but I’m not sure. I don’t know how to continue treatment for mastitis or if I should. I’m assuming the tooth can’t be taken care of until she’s more stable, but I’m concerned there’s an infection. So how do I continue mastitis care? How do I keep weight on without hurting her rumen and her tooth? What is going on with that breath? Please help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

What is her temperature?

Is she still having diarrhea? Give her probios and a b complex shot.

Is the udder hot?
When our goat had mastitis in her precocious udder we treated with tomorrow infusions for 5 days (milking out before each new infusion). Our goat was also on penicillin (injected 2x a day for 5 days). Also daily vitamin c tablets, hot epsom salt compresses on the udder, and Dynamint udder cream. After the 5 days were over we continued twice daily milking (with just vit c, dynamint and compresses) until the lumps were completely gone. Then we dried her up. You may need to do the pencillin and tomorrow infusions for a week instead of 5 days.

You need to keep her hydrated.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/hydrationnutriti.html

Do you have a vet?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marisa

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn’t great vet support here for goats. The vet suggested it was mastitis, but hasn’t been able to offer any further advice.
At this point she is staying hydrated and eating fairly well, just not quite with the same gusto as before, and she is losing her cud on occasion.
The udder isn’t hot, but warm. I’ve been massaging with vegetable oil infused with peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.
The vet injected an antibiotic at the beginning of treatment, but that is the only injection. Should I start her on penicillin? I can get that. I’ll start milking her out as well. I was thinking I should allow the antibiotic to stay inside, but I need the lumps to disappear.
I gave her a B complex shot a couple weeks ago. I’m assuming I can give her another. And I’ve been giving her probios every day with her grain.
How do you do the epsom salt compress and how often? I’m assuming getting the lumps to heal will allow her to lie down comfortably. Did your goat refuse to lie down?
 

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
Joined
·
7,396 Posts
There isn't great vet support here for goats. The vet suggested it was mastitis, but hasn't been able to offer any further advice.
At this point she is staying hydrated and eating fairly well, just not quite with the same gusto as before, and she is losing her cud on occasion.
The udder isn't hot, but warm. I've been massaging with vegetable oil infused with peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.
The vet injected an antibiotic at the beginning of treatment, but that is the only injection. Should I start her on penicillin? I can get that. I'll start milking her out as well. I was thinking I should allow the antibiotic to stay inside, but I need the lumps to disappear.
I gave her a B complex shot a couple weeks ago. I'm assuming I can give her another. And I've been giving her probios every day with her grain.
How do you do the epsom salt compress and how often? I'm assuming getting the lumps to heal will allow her to lie down comfortably. Did your goat refuse to lie down?
Add epsom salt to warm water, let it dissolve, use a cloth as a compress and dip it and then hold it on the udder, just as you would compress anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
There isn't great vet support here for goats. The vet suggested it was mastitis, but hasn't been able to offer any further advice.
At this point she is staying hydrated and eating fairly well, just not quite with the same gusto as before, and she is losing her cud on occasion.
The udder isn't hot, but warm. I've been massaging with vegetable oil infused with peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.
The vet injected an antibiotic at the beginning of treatment, but that is the only injection. Should I start her on penicillin? I can get that. I'll start milking her out as well. I was thinking I should allow the antibiotic to stay inside, but I need the lumps to disappear.
I gave her a B complex shot a couple weeks ago. I'm assuming I can give her another. And I've been giving her probios every day with her grain.
How do you do the epsom salt compress and how often? I'm assuming getting the lumps to heal will allow her to lie down comfortably. Did your goat refuse to lie down?
What's her temperature?
Don't give her grain if she's having diarrhea.
Peppermint is good to massage the udder. You can start her on penicillin. Dosage is 5cc/100 lbs injected subcutaneously twice daily for 5-7 days.
Give probios 4 hours after giving a penicillin shot. You also need more tomorrow or today tubes. Infuse at least once a day and milk/massage/compress twice a day. You can do the infusions for 5-7 days. Do you have any vitamin c chewables?

You can give b complex shots daily. Can't overdose them, the goat eliminates what they don't need.

Our goat did not refuse to lay down. She was not sick other than the udder lumps and also much younger than your goat. It seems like your goat is sicker.

Hope this helps and keep us updated! Feel free to ask questions
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marisa

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Her stool seems to hardening up. If I already gave her a solid weak of ToDay/ToMorrow should she get more? Her temp has been ranging pretty much between 102 and 103. I don't have chewables, but I'm sure I can get her to eat the pill if I chop it up a bit and hide it in a banana. I'll get penicillin tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Thank you! Her stool seems to hardening up. If I already gave her a solid weak of ToDay/ToMorrow should she get more? Her temp has been ranging pretty much between 102 and 103. I don't have chewables, but I'm sure I can get her to eat the pill if I chop it up a bit and hide it in a banana. I'll get penicillin tomorrow.
If the lumps were getting smaller while you were using the today and tomorrow then yes I would do another 5-7 days of infusions. All the other stuff is important too. :) Temp is normal so that's good. For vitamin C 2-3 of the 500mg chewables per day is good. Most of our goats like them straight out of the bottle.

Another question, did you get a fecal on her after the deworming?

Whats your goatie's name?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I'll try to get some more ToDay/ToMorrow. It was hard to find them here, and I bought out the store that carried them. Hopefully they've restocked. The right side seems to be fine now, it's just the left with lumps. I just milked her out and a bunch of slightly bloody white chunks came out which hadn't really happened before and I'm assuming that's good. Should I just infuse the left side with the full syringe?
She gobbled up the C hidden in the banana. This has been unbelievable trying to figure out on my own. I'm so thankful for your help.
Her full name is Dizygotheca (Dotheca for short and she's named after a plant). She was my last show doe in 4-H over a decade ago. I love her way too much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Thank you! Her stool seems to hardening up. If I already gave her a solid weak of ToDay/ToMorrow should she get more? Her temp has been ranging pretty much between 102 and 103. I don't have chewables, but I'm sure I can get her to eat the pill if I chop it up a bit and hide it in a banana. I'll get penicillin tomorrow.
Before treating for mastitis anymore test her milk! The california mastitis is much more accurate than the strip tests.Wait to give more antibiotics as well until testing the milk. Has she been tested for cae and cl? Her milk needs to be clean of the today and tomorrow before it is tested. About five days after anything was infused in the udder.

The poop. Test for worm load. Only give her water and hay while scouring. No grain at all. Electrolytes are fine too but jave a clean water bucket for jer as well as the electrolyte water. She can choose which to drink.

You can give b complex daily. She will just pee out what she does not need.

Her milk can also be tested for protein inversion. That can cause them to become very sick and thin too. This happens in heavy milking breeds. Dyne is a good supplement to help with the weight. Get the dog dyne as it is the same thing as for goats and horses but usually cheaper. With the dyne you may notice her not eating as much because it is a high calorie gel and she will feel more full. So if you do give it make sure she is still eating hay because her rumen needs it to work properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
  • Like
Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Thanks @Sfgwife, I'm not very experienced with mastitis. Am I right that the reason for testing is to see if more antibiotics are needed?

@Marisa, you may have to order more today/tomorrow if you need it, or even just to keep on hand. Here it is on Jeffers: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/tomorrow-dry-cow
The test will tell the somatic cell count in the milk. That tells if there is or is not an infection in the udder. But she has given a week of two different meds already and the milk was not even tested in the first place it sounds like. It NEEDS to be tested before anymore antibiotics are given... infused in the udder or by inj. My vet had me use one of the meds infused for 7-10 days... not flip flopping the two because today and tomorrow are two different meds. :/. Flip flopping may have actually not helped because it is like stopping an antibiotic before you are finished with the round of it.

Also @marissa when you say half a tube at a time.... did you reuse the other half right out of the tube? If so do NOT do that again. You are putting the tube in a possibly infected teat and reintroducing it plus more germs and bacteria that may have gotten on it after you used it the first time. You can draw it up half into a syringe and use the other half later (no needle) in the teat. But never reinsert a used tube and i would not even use the other half of the tube straight from the tube into the other half of the udder if treating both sides. . You can use the whole tube into one side of an udder as well and for a heavy milker i did use a whole tube each time i infused mine.

Also having the milk tested at a lab will tell you what med will work the best if it is mastitis. You can send it off in the mail yourself. Lumps in an udder is not always mastitis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
The test will tell the somatic cell count in the milk. That tells if there is or is not an infection in the udder. But she has given a week of two different meds already and the milk was not even tested in the first place it sounds like. It NEEDS to be tested before anymore antibiotics are given... infused in the udder or by inj. My vet had me use one of the meds infused for 7-10 days... not flip flopping the two because today and tomorrow are two different meds. :/. Flip flopping may have actually not helped because it is like stopping an antibiotic before you are finished with the round of it.

Also @marissa when you say half a tube at a time.... did you reuse the other half right out of the tube? If so do NOT do that again. You are putting the tube in a possibly infected teat and reintroducing it plus more germs and bacteria that may have gotten on it after you used it the first time. You can draw it up half into a syringe and use the other half later (no needle) in the teat. But never reinsert a used tube and i would not even use the other half of the tube straight from the tube into the other half of the udder if treating both sides. . You can use the whole tube into one side of an udder as well and for a heavy milker i did use a whole tube each time i infused mine.

Also having the milk tested at a lab will tell you what med will work the best if it is mastitis. You can send it off in the mail yourself. Lumps in an udder is not always mastitis.
Thank you for explaining. That makes sense to identify if the lumps are caused by mastitis or not. I just assumed they were. Yes @Marisa you should use either today or tomorrow if you need it. We used tomorrow and it worked on the lumps in our goats' udder.
 
  • Like
Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
@Marisa how is your goatie doing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello! Thank you for all the help and concern my my baby girl! I got her milk tested and the vet took a sample from the lump in her udder. She has a very hard to treat bacteria still lingering in the left half and the cells from the mass look metastic. She has swollen lymph nodes all over the place, so the vet thinks she may have lymphoma. The symptoms fit very well. So I’m treating the infection the best I can and doing everything to keep weight on and keep her comfy. Thanks again for the support!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Thanks for updating us! Glad a vet is helping you. :)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top