Old Saanen Buck Going to Hurt Me???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by gardenbhean, Mar 16, 2013.

1. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    I'm familiar with goats but no expert and a few months ago someone left us with a sweet, friendly old Saanen buck to graze on the land but never came back for him.

This first part is fine by me, because I very much wanted to keep him but now it's rutting season and I have no idea if he's dangerous or just putting on a show. He got loose from me yesterday (he's on a 40 ft tether and I walk and move him around everyday) and started jumping and rearing and ramming the fence and reared at me once. I tied him up to some rebar quickly and half an hour later he was calm and we moved him to a better spot.

So how long does an older Saanen goats rut last? Is he dangerous to me or just other males? And I should I get him a wether for company longterm?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Kaneel

Kaneel New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Soon...NW Oregon
    Well, if you aren't going to use him for breeding, I would suggest just wethering him. There is no reason for him to be a buck besides breeding, so if he is just a pet wethering would be best, but contact a vet about doing it for you. And all goats are sociable, they are herd animals. So either way, you should get him a companion goat, he will do much better physically and mentally that way.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A buck in rut certainly can hurt a person...they are unpredictable...I have a Saanen buck whom I bottle raised..so I know his behavior...he is a sweet lovable monster but in rut he gets very excited and because he is a big guy...Im careful with him...I take a stick in with me to show him he better behave...he would never mean to hurt me, he just loves me too much lol...but since you do not know this guys behaviors...I would be very careful...Rut can last for months...as a matter of fact they are in rut longer than when they are not. My saanen is just coming out of rut.. A wether friend his size would be a great idea...a bored Buck is bad but a board buck in rut is even worse than lol..a friend will help him use some of his energy..but do watch yourself with him...I have a friend who carried a iron skillet..lol..and this was for her bottle raised boer buck..lol..do what you need to to stay safe..and do be keep and eye on him being tied out..he can be come tangles..choke o unable to reach his water ;)

4. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Thanks! I would have him wethered but I've repeatedly read that it's 50/50 that it'll do much good at his age, but I will definitely get him a companion goat- as I would like to keep him as happy & healthy as I can.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    yes, at this age he can still act bucky even if wethered...a buddy should help him calm down... and bring some joy into his life...: )

6. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Thank you both for the good advice!

I will be very careful with him. Today he was acting perfectly normal with me, but I still kept a wary eye out. Good to know, I will take something with me- maybe even a skillet!! His horns are almost 2 feet long each! According to the people who told me his history he was the resident mascot of the Billy Goat Inn and would hang out inside.

I do watch him and check on him often and untangle him if need be and move him around and let him off the leash and give him more water when he knocks it over, but he's pretty smart about not tangling himself up for the most part. We're in the process of fixing fence that spans a half acre of so for him :) He's in caring hands now.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hes a lucky buck : ) sounds like he will live out his days well cared for

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Bucks are like stallions, bulls etc. Their hormones take over and they get stupid. They have only one thing on
    their mind! (mating!). Just be cautious and wary around any buck. If you hit him in the head, he can take that
    as a challenge. Just be aware of your surroundings. My Alpine bucks went out of rut in Feb. Hopefully, your boy will be out soon!

9. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Yep bucks can be unpredictable. One minuet they are calm and the next they are raging lunatics. If your around him enough you will start to see the changes in his behavior before the switch so you can get out of the way.

10. olfart

olfart Certified Codger

Mar 7, 2013
    NE Texas
    An old friend taught me years ago how to handle a Saanen buck in heat. Don't try to grab his horns! Get a good handful of his beard and yank up on it. He will follow you meek as a lamb once you get his attention.

11. SeveNeveS

SeveNeveS New Member

Feb 23, 2013
    just be careful! i had the tar beat out of me by a togg buck. only a yearling but he was solid. i was in the barn alone and no one was home. i sold him for slaughter about half hour later. i have custody of my 3 year old grandson and had he been in the barn with me i believe he would no longer be with us. i cant take that chance. and he was MEAN. he came THRU a stall door and pinned me under it and just wouldnt let up. i guess i got that adreniline rush that everyone talks about because i finally got him tied up to the main beam of the barn. i only had minis before and these standard goats are a whole new ball game. i wont own a buck now unless he is bottle raised by me and i teach him young who is boss. i know there is still a chance and i'm more careful now, but just thinking about that day (happened just last sept) and i'm shaking and my eyes are leaking.... i dont wish that experience on my worst enemy

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    it is true..Bucks can be mean if not taught early on whose the boss..Im sorry you had such a bad experience and agree with your method of dealing with it...I would have made him freezer meat too...: )

13. NavaBoerFarm

NavaBoerFarm Junior Member

Gardenbhean you must share a pic of your buck with us. I want to see those long horns!

14. SeveNeveS

SeveNeveS New Member

Feb 23, 2013
    thanx Happy! after what i went thru, i just couldnt take the chance that he did it to someone else... *sigh*

15. IrishRoots

IrishRoots Irish Roots Acres NDG's

Jan 7, 2013
    Columbia, TN
    I would love to see a pic too!!

16. Kaneel

Kaneel New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Soon...NW Oregon
    Even if it doesn't work you should still wether him to be safe. It should calm him down even a little, which to me could be worth it. And getting him a friend should be pretty easy lol, I think that a lot of breeders sell their weathers cheap.

17. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    I will take a picture of him in the morning; he is really something to behold!

I have a feeling he hasn't led an easy life because he's not in the best condition, but he's a good old goat and everywhere he goes he manicures the land and fertilizes it wonderfully.

Although one thing I'm really concerned about is something he has on his parts of his face and body from, seems like from a looong time ago. It's awful and smells suspiciously like an oil. It's black and hardened into parts of his furr on his face and body. I tried a couple different animal-safe soaps but to no avail. :( Any ideas?

18. pridegoethb4thefall

pridegoethb4thefall New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Pretty sure the stuff on his face and fur is pee. Bucks have this lovely habit of spraying thick stinky as heck pee all over themselves. It builds up over time, especially during rut.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  19. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Really?!?! Wow. Hm, not quite sure what to do with it then. Do you know if it will ever come off?

His beard and other parts are certainly pee stained. He reeks pretty hard according to some but I actually don't seem to mind it.

20. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Wow, incredible story by the way I can't even imagine how scary that would be! Glad you were uninjured. Totally understandable able how to deal with rogue animals like that.