Old Saanen Buck Going to Hurt Me???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by gardenbhean, Mar 16, 2013.

1. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Good tip!I definitely made that mistake already! When I was trying to clip his collar back on and it had the opposite effect of what I wanted!

Here is a picture, as promised :)

No rude behaviour since, but you can see why I was concerned!
    I found him standing up eating out of the pear tree the other day and he was a good bit taller than me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    hahahahahha best way to put it ever!!!

3. SeveNeveS

SeveNeveS New Member

Feb 23, 2013
    wasn't totally uninjured - a good portion of my body was purple - but yea - i'm good - lol - i can laugh about it now
    ;) sort of....
    as for the buck - i would trim him when your weather gets warm and stays warm - no matter what the substance is it can rub his skin causing sores and whatnot - give him a bath a couple days before (better for clippers) then shave him down and bathe again - make sure you have muscular help - he may get a bit testy whilst being shorn - but in the long run he will be a happier goat - until that time - bond with him - will make the whole bath/shave thing go better!
    Good Luck and God Bless for taking care of his old soul <3

4. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Love his horns. I have a feeling my buck Dante's horns will look similar to his as he grows(he's only a year now). If he won't knock them over I would get him some loose minerals to set out free choice. A cattle or goat mineral will do don't get sheep and make sure they are loose(bagged) not a block. If he will knock them over I would offer them to him twice a day. It should help his coat be less rough.

5. NavaBoerFarm

NavaBoerFarm Junior Member

That is a beautiful set of horns. I bet your proud to have him around.
    I can also see why you should take extra caution around him.

6. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Beautiful boy. I agree with the others that wethering him will not only calm him down, but will help with the stink and the habits of peeing on himself, etc :)

Lovely set of horns!

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Gorgeous boy :D I just love saanen bucks they are so placid and easy going.

I will have to get a picture of my boy, he is only 18 mths and has a pretty decent rack of horns. Not as long as your boy yet.

The black is probably just from weeing on himself, they can get pretty crusty and gross. A bath would help, if you can stomach it! My buck is going to a charity dog wash in a few weeks time - the vet students have volunteered to wash him! I will pay them double if they do :D Goat milk soap is sometimes good to get rid of the smell, at least for a little while :)

8. SeveNeveS

SeveNeveS New Member

Feb 23, 2013
    tractor supply sells a goat protein pail that i swear by!

9. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    They are great!

But my goat is kind of stupid and won't eat hers