The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends gave us a 14 year old doe about a month ago. She was a little overweight but seemed to be in overall good health. A little over a week ago I gave her some cydectin since her eyes looked too light and she has seemed fine until I checked on her today. She's been a little droopy and her eyes (tear ducts?) are swollen. See photos, one was taken a few weeks ago and one today. What should I be doing?
Head Sculpture Goat-antelope Fawn Terrestrial animal
Eye Working animal Eyelash Dog breed Liver

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Yes flush her eye, she may have hay or something irritating it..keep up with the Neo a few days and see how she does.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Gorgeous horns! Can she still eat hay?

Reactions: Trollmor

·
8,359 Posts
I just read an article about hay with foxtail in it. The foxtail has little arrow like fibers that can get in animals eyes and cause a severe reaction and swelling. (Or in the mouth, etc)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It must have been a hay irritation. I put Neosporin on it early morning and by evening it was noticeably better, almost gone. She prefers feed over hay but she will eat it. I read that the average goat lifespan was 10-12 years, she's at least 14 maybe older.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
They can live way older than 10-12 especially if they are not breeding. I saw a goat on instagram that was 21 years old!
If she stops eating hay or isn't eating enough you can soak hay cubes for her to make a mush. Usually they start losing teeth when they get that old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts