Older doe with low Famancha score and dandruff

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Rascal66, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Hello all!

Now as spring is approaching, everyone is shedding out their winter coats. I noticed however, my oldest and newest doe seems to have lots of dandruff? I just read about offering zinc tablets, and with the current COVID virus going around, we are making plans to do some much needed shopping tomorrow, so I'm planning on picking some up to try to offer it to her?

I just copper bolused my herd about 2 weeks ago. Can anyone help determine if I gave them enough? I went by the label, and gave 1 adult tablet (3.4g or 4grams per tablet) for my larger adult Kikos, and gave the smaller younger Kikos the kid tablet, which is 2 grams. Hope this is enough for my adults?

Yesterday I also took a moment to check all my goats eyelids. Everyone is very good, red/pink except for her.. Which is more of a pale pink.
    I have on hand, goat safe guard, ivermectin, red cell, corid and pro biotics. She is pooping, eating and drinking well... I wanted to get her started on safeguard and tag it with ivermectin. Would this be okay? Any recommended doses? Last time, the vet recommended I double the dose of safeguard for them. She is a newer doe, and kidded for us last December. I remember her eyelids were a bit better several months back, not perfect but not terrible. I just want to be safe and treat her. Any advice? Should I give her more copper? And are zinc tablets okay? As far as mineral intake goes, I had purchased a molasses protein mineral pail to try (since the store was out of loose mineral) and they've been on that for a while.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The protein pail is not a mineral. You can give safeguard and ivomec but having a fecal done to include coccidia first would be better.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Thank you for the insight, the pail was just sure to mention not to offer loose mineral along with it, so I wasn't too sure. I'll try to pick up some more here soon very soon.
    Do you know the recommended dosage for both safeguard and ivermectin? How long or how many days I have to provide this?
    I appreciate your response amd help!

MadHouse likes this.
  5. lada823

lada823 Active Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Ohio
    This is what I have in my notes:
    Ivermectin injectable - 1 cc per 30 lbs given orally.
    Safeguard - 2-3 x label dose for 3 days, repeat in 10 days.
    Actually you can (should) repeat both products 10 days later.
    But you do need a fecal first so you know what you're dealing with.

ksalvagno and Rascal66 like this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yep it's safe to offer all your goats loose minerals in addition to the protein pail. No worries about what that label says.

Rascal66 likes this.
  7. Rascal66

Rascal66 Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Thank you guys so much for your replies! I'll plan accordingly. Hopefully I can see improvement in a month or so.